Tom N.
Tom N., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Certified 31 years experience multiple car lines. I want to assist you!

Ford Explorer My 2002 explorer wont start. Battery and starter

My 2002 explorer won't start. Battery and starter are fine. Fuel pump working and no other obvious connection issues. Any suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tom N. replied 3 years ago.

Tom N. :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with this are you available to chat and may I please have your first name?

Customer :

kaitlyn

Tom N. :

Hi Kaitlyn, when you say wont start do you mean that the vehicle will not crank when you turn on the key to the start position?

Customer :

It sounds like it's trying to start but won't turn over.

Tom N. :

Okay, have you tried to jump start the vehicle?

Customer :

Yeah, tried that

Tom N. :

What happened when you tried to jump it?

Customer :

Nothing, just sounds like it's almost going to start but doesn't. Tried pressing gas while starting, and nothing.

Tom N. :

Is your check engine light on?

Customer :

Yes, it turned on when the car died out on me. I was driving yesterday and it just stopped.

Tom N. :

Do you have any way to check for diagnostic codes with a scan tool?

Tom N. :

Are you still there?

Customer :

Yes, sorry

Customer :

My brother in law is helping, I was asking him about the codes

Customer :

He says yes, there's no codes

Tom N. :

What codes do you have?

Customer :

No codes

Tom N. :

Do you have any way to check to see if the fuel injectors are getting voltage to them ?

Customer :

No

Customer :

I have a test light, can I use that?

Customer :

Tried starting fluid as well, didn't work

Tom N. :

Okay, Difficult to use but it can be done, best thing to use is refered to as a node tester available at ant parts store. Have you checked all the fuses under the hood and under the dash?

Customer :

Yes, checked all fuses

Tom N. :

Okay nest step is to check the injectors for voltage and if the do not have any when you are cranking the engine much further diagnostics will be required.

Tom N. :

When you say that you ruled out the fuel pump what type of operating pressures did you have at the fuel injection rail ?

Customer :

60 psi

Tom N. :

Okay once again were back to the injectors not having voltage.

Tom N. :

That would be the would be the next step.

Tom N. :

Do you need any more assistance?

Customer :

Okay, thanks!

Tom N. :

Hope this helps,. Please click ACCEPT if I have answered all your questions , and post positive feed back as I will do the same for you . Bonuses are always appreciated ! If you need more assistance , PLEASE ASK!!

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX bless

Customer :

One more question

Tom N. :

No problem

Customer :

if the injector voltage is good, any other suggestions

Tom N. :

Compression test than a cylinder leakage test are the next steps.

Tom N. :

Anything else I can assist you with?

Customer :

Is there a way to check the crank shaft position sensor or cam shaft position sensor?

Tom N. :

Yes, that is what the injector test will tell you if you dont have a scan tool that will read engine data.

Customer :

What should the injector voltage be?

Tom N. :

Should light your circuit tester.

Tom N. :

Around 12 volts

Customer :

Okay, thanks for your help.

Tom N. :

Tom N., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ASE Certified 31 years experience multiple car lines. I want to assist you!