Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

1998 F-150: Third door wont open

have a 1998 F-150. Third door won't open. Have removed inside panels and speaker. Can not find the cable to the top door latch. Do I have to remove the external latch (which is riveted to the door) to reach the cable and open the door?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-fq9wvkue-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is caused by a broken upper latch cable, if you need I can send the upper latch replacement instructions.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It wa clear that I knew that the upper latch wa stuck. Will you please answer my questions regarding how to find the cable and how to repair it.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-fq9wvkue-.

Thank you for the ACCEPT!

Below are the upper latch replacement instructions in pdf format (just click on the link below). The cable runs from the handleassembly inside the door up to the upper latch.

Latch-Rear Door, Upper Replacement Instructions Click Here

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Was that helpful? You do not have to pay again.

I had to make sure we were both on the same page and understanding each other, I can be difficult doing this over the internet without actually being there. Please understand.

Edited by Shawn on 12/11/2010 at 5:51 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

You didn't understand this?

Whave a 1998 F-150. Third door won't open. Have removed inside panels and speaker. Can not find the cable to the top door latch. Do I have to remove the external latch (which is riveted to the door) to reach the cable and open the door?

I find it hard to believe that you didn't know what page I was on! If not you assumed instead of reading in detail.

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-fq9wvkue-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The cable runs from the handle assembly inside the door up to the upper latch.

The upper rear door latch replacement instructions are below (click on the link below).

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-fq9wvkue-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

If the cable is broken off of the handle assembly, then you will need to remove the handle as well, below are the handle replacement instructions, (click on the link below).

Handle-Outside, Rear Door Replacement Instructions Click Here

Edited by Shawn on 12/12/2010 at 6:00 PM EST