Mat
Mat, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  11 yrs at FLM Dealer, Senior Master Tech 05-present, ASE Master tech, Auto trans & Diesel
49638932

Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT my thermostat housing, not where

Customer Question

my thermostat housing, not where the thermostst sets but behind that the section where the temperature sensing unit sets and what looks like a hose for the heater comes out of.
do they have replacement gaskets for that part of the housing??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mat replied 6 years ago.

Hi i would like to help you out. Is your explorer a 4.0L engine. Ive included a pic of pic of the 4.0L here. If you have the 4.6L v8 let me know and I update this info. On the 4.0L engine it sounds like your thermostat housing is leaking. There is an o ring under the housing that I have seen leak before. Should be number 9 in the picture. the part number is XXXXX as well so you can get this o ring right from your local ford dealer. If you need further assistance please feel free to ask and please remember to click the accept button if I was able to help you in anyway. Thanks and good luck

ItemPart NumberDescription
114A464Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor electrical connector
28260Upper radiator hose
3W500015Thermostat housing cover bolt (3 required)
48A586Thermostat housing cover with O-ring seal
58575Thermostat
618472Heater hose
7W702527Thermostat housing bolt (3 required)
88548Bypass hose
98A586Thermostat housing with O-ring seal

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just a little note to tell you that the problem was with the thermostat housing itself where the upper and lower part of the housing is put together has a blown gasket and i dont know if you can buy this gasket or if you have to buy the whole thermostat plastic housing