Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

2002 Ford Explorer: smell gas..goes away..My check engine light is on

Hi, I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and I smell gas on the inside and outside when I start it up. It dose not happen all the time and sometimes it just goes away on its own. My check engine light is on and check fuel cap. I replaced the fuel cap and it's still on. I don't see any signs of a gasoline leak on the ground. This year I've had a new transmission put in and had the intake manifold replaced also one of the ignitor coils and was told that three other coils were bad. It's worse now that it's colder and if I don't let the car warm up enough it's also worse. Help!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-sujds6vx-. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

If the fuel cap light is on and you can smell fuel then there is a leak in the evaporative emissions system. Generally this needs to be diagnosed with a ford scanner and a smoke machine. Its really not possible to diagnose a vapor leak in the system without this equipment. Being that it is a vapor leak that is why you are not seeing any fuel leaks as there is no liquid in the system. Diagnosis for this concern usually runs about 2 labor hours at whatever your shops labor rate is. You won't know if its a covered item on your extended warranty until you have it diagnosed.