Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

2000 ford ranger: four wheel drive..engage..a clicking noise

Customer Question

2000 ford ranger four wheel drive. all has worked perfectly for all these years now just this weekend the fourwheel drive will not engage. you can hear a clicking noise like a selinoid under the dash about six times then silence. this has the electric shift on the dash automatic trans and 4.0 v6
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 6 years ago.
TheXXXXXtransfer case control motor is known for this problem, it is mounted on the transfer case and can be replaced without removing the transfer case. If I have helped you, kindly click ACCEPT so I can get credit for answering your question, Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It wasnt the control motor, after paying the 90 bucks for it and replacing and still no working four wheel drive I went back to the parts place and they showed me how to test the control module and yeah that was the problem, of course I still have to keep the control motor you said was bad because I have already installed it. Maybe next time you can tell the person asking the question the simple step of checking the control module before laying out dollars for the motor.

Ben

Most likely you needed both, the faulty control motor will sometimes damage the Module if left malfunctioning for too long,the increased resistance damages the Module, I was hoping you had caught it quick enough, Merry Christmas Jimmy