Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Ford Explorer interior lights wont go off. door ajar light

interior lights won't go off. door ajar light on. 1996 ford explorer v6 4.0

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

You need to address the faulty door ajar switch which is stuck. If you have access to a good scan tool, it will tell you which door is showing ajar. If you do not have a scan tool then you will have to check each one. Sometimes you can soak down each door latch with a penetrating lube to free up a stuck switch with a door closing sequences. If this fails then you must remove each door panel and each door latch and then remove the door ajar sensor and clean and lube it. If you need these directions please reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was going to remove the fuse but couldn't figure out which one. I couldn't find a list telling me which fuse went to what.
Removing a fuse will shut down alot of electrical features and not just the dome lights, if you just want to leave it alone and not repair it then remove the dome lamp bulb.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried spraying the doors. Light is still on. I just don't want to kill the battery. The door is the rear door. The window part I think.

Then you need to remove the trim and access the switch to clean it up and lube it for re-installation. Download the trim panel removal instructions <<<HERE>>> and then remove the switch from the latch.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Chris. I took the lights out. Maybe that will work until I can get it fixed. I am working 7 days a week so I don't know when I can take it in.
Your welcome