Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  17 YEARS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, TRUCK&COACH TECHNICIAN LICENCE

1996 ford explorer: heater core..thermostat..heater control valve

I have a 1996 ford explorer i have no heat .The heater core,thermostat,accurator and heater control valve all are working but it still blows cold air
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 3 years ago.

Pavlin Koev :

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do my best to help you with your vehicle trouble.

Pavlin Koev :

when you touch heater core hoses, are they both hot?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

there has to be a door stuck on the vent is there a way for me to free it without taking the dashboard out

Pavlin Koev :

On your car it should be vacuum operated, give me a minute to look through it, thanks

Pavlin Koev :

automatic or manual control ?

Customer:

auto

Pavlin Koev :

Have you tried self test for codes?

Customer:

no

Pavlin Koev :

lets do that first

Pavlin Koev :

warm up the engine first

Customer:

ill have to take it to someone dont have the tools

Pavlin Koev :

with ignition ON simultaneously press OFF anf floor buttons and then within 2 seconds press AUTOMATIC button.test may take up to 20 seconds

Customer:

don't have a code reader

Pavlin Koev :

can you do that and let me know if you are having any codes displyed

Pavlin Koev :

I just send you how to do it

Pavlin Koev :

you have to use the buttons on the heater unit.

Pavlin Koev :

the one on your car

Pavlin Koev :

are you there?

Customer:

don't understand

Customer:

don't undarstand

Customer:

sorry i only have control knobs

Customer:

don't understand what to do

Pavlin Koev :

with ignition in on position, using the buttons on you A/C heater control. press OFF and Floor Buttons at the same time and then within 2 seconds press AUTOMATIC button.

Customer:

i don't have a button

Customer:

i have a heater control knob and floor control

Pavlin Koev :

When I asked you if you hamanual or automatic I was asking about A/C control unit, so I assum it is manual control then.

Customer:

there are no buttons

Pavlin Koev :

ok just a minute please

Customer:

sorry

Customer:

i am clueless

Customer:

i had heat one day and the next day it did not work

Customer:

i think the vacuum to the heater control valve is working

Pavlin Koev :

I am sending you complete system, check vacuum supply first if it is ok will check blend door actuator, they do go so may be it is time to change. CLICK HERE to DOWNLOAD

Customer:

i had someone take the actuator out it was moving

Customer:

could the door be stuck

Pavlin Koev :

it is possible, or somthinf fell in and preventing it from moving.

Customer:

is there any way i can reach it by hand to see if i can move it

Pavlin Koev :

you can move it at place where actuator engages it, actuator has to be removed in order to move it. you can leave it close or open.

Customer:

the actuator is working do you think if i remove it i can turn thr door with a screwdriver

Pavlin Koev :

yes you should be able to.

Customer:

thank you i will give it a try

Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience: 17 YEARS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, TRUCK&COACH TECHNICIAN LICENCE