Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

Ford Explorer Sport COULD THE FUEL PUMP RELAY SWITCH BE DEFECTED

Customer Question

COULD THE FUEL PUMP RELAY SWITCH BE DEFECTED INSTEAD THE FUEL PUMP KEEP THE ENGINE FROM SARTING
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

hi again

Steve :

still trying to get your truck to start?

JACUSTOMER-8y0hy3fn- :

battery is fully charged. engine turns over but will not start. eventual thebattery is drained. what other options do I have?

Steve :

have you checked for spark and fuel pressure yet?

Steve :

does the check engine light come on key on engine off?

Steve :

are you there?

JACUSTOMER-8y0hy3fn- :

the truck has recently had a tune-up. it has 89463 miles. have not chek for spark or fuel pressure. the gas tank has over 12 gallons no the engine dont come on

Steve :

If the check engine light does not come on key on engine off could have a bad computer relay in the fuse box under the hood

Steve :

click on the blue link for location of relay in the fuse box and change the relay out with another relay. It is called the pcm power relay swap it with the blower motor relay and see if it will start.

JACUSTOMER-8y0hy3fn- :

do you think this is a fuel pump problem why the truck try to start but does not. i dont think it is a timeimg belt problem because it is metal and I dont see it breaking. I am trying to find what I can check to find out this problem. I have not had any problem with this truck othe than regular meintenxce.

Steve :

Steve :

let me know if you have any questions on what i just wrote.

JACUSTOMER-8y0hy3fn- :

what I am getting from is you do not think it is the fuel pump.however what is your best case scenario what is wrong why engine done not start

Steve :

Steve :

have you clicked on the blue link yet?

Steve :

start with the pcm power relay swap it out with the blower motor relay. click on the blue link for location

Steve :

you said the check engine light does not come on key on engine off correct?

Steve :

If that is the case then click on the blue link

JACUSTOMER-8y0hy3fn- :

Thank you for your help. however, the information is helpful. I will need know this before I see a mehanic. Is there more I need to know before I see the mehanic

Steve :

no I would swap out the relay yourself it will save you some money and it is not hard to do

JACUSTOMER-8y0hy3fn- :

one last queston\. is this a costly repair job I could buy a new truck. what do you reccomend?

Steve :

I would recommend you swap out the relay and get your truck running. A relay cost 20 bucks

JACUSTOMER-8y0hy3fn- :

THANKS SO MUCH. YOU HAVE BEEN A LIFE SAVER

Steve :

your welcome and good luck

Steve :

please leave a positive feedback thanks

Steve :

thanks for the accept