Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

2006 Ford Taurus: noise coming..compressor..the A/C Clutch pulley

I have a 2006 Ford Taurus and recently I took into an auto repair shop to inspect why there was a lot of noise coming from the drive belt area. They came to the conclusion that it was the A/C Clutch dragging on it ( something to that effect ) They said I needed to replace the whole compressor even though my air conditioning runs perfect. Can I just have the A/C clutch replaced to fix the problem or is there a way to bypass the A/C Clutch pulley and use a smaller serpentine belt?

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, if the compressor still operates and is not leaking, then there is no reason why the clutch alone should not be replaced. The shop makes more money on labor for replacing the entire compressor. In fact, if you were to use factory parts, then the compressor and the clutch has to be purchased seperately. Thanks

Customer:

Is there an easier way to removing the A/C Clutch than having to remove the entire compressor and can you do it without removing the exhaust manifold?

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, sorry it took so long, computer issues. The manifold does not have to be removed. The fans for the radiator are removed to get to the copmpressor. The book calls for total removal of the compressor to replace the clutch. This is 2.1 hours labor plus another hour to recharge the freon in the system. This should be all the charges there are plus the cost of the clutch. Thanks

Customer:

That helped a lot thanks!!!!!

Dieseljunky2 :

Glad we could be of assistance for you.