Lurch
Lurch, Ford Cert.
Experience:  Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

Ford Freestar Limited: Hi ... I replaced the battery on my

Customer Question

Hi ... I replaced the battery on my 2005 Ford Freestar Minivan on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Since the replacement, the clicker will not automatically open the doors or liftgate. I looked through the manual and it says to use the buttons inside the vehicle, hold them down for 10 seconds and see if it opens. If this doesn't work, it says to pull the fuse out (#11 I believe), leave it out for 30 seconds and then put it back and this should replace it. I have followed these steps and it still isn't fixed. Any ideas? I have toddler twins and have got way too spoiled using the clicker to auto open the doors for them or pushing the buttons on the top of the inside of the car to open them from the driver's seat. Help, please ~ I might have to lock my twins in the house and keep them there if it doesn't get fixed and I hate to pay our dealership $150 for a simple problem fix. Thanks y'all .... glad I found this forum :).
Category: Ford
Expert:  Lurch replied 3 years ago.

If this is Factory Ford Keyless Entry..
TRY:
Standing next to vehicle "Press & Hold" the Lock & Unlock Buttons "together" for apprx 10 seconds
Release Buttons & try remote

If the above does not work, you may need to Program Transmitters again, by following the procedure below or use of Dealer Scan tool to Master code

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

CAUTION: All remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitters must be programmed at the same time.

The vehicle must be electronically unlocked before entering program mode (via RKE, RKE keypad (if equipped) or door lock control switch while the driver door is open.

Turn the key from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds , with the eighth turn ending in RUN. If the module has successfully entered program mode, it will lock and then unlock all doors.

Within 20 seconds , press any button on an RKE transmitter, and the doors will lock and then unlock to confirm that each RKE transmitter has been programmed.

Repeat this step for each RKE transmitter.

If the door locks do not respond for any RKE transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again.

If the door locks still fail to respond, refer to Inspection and Verification.

Make sure that no more than the maximum number of RKE transmitters are attempted to be programmed.

Exiting the programming mode is accomplished if one of the following occurs:
The key transitions to the OFF position.
20 seconds have passed since entering programming mode or since the last RKE transmitter was programmed.
The maximum number of RKE transmitters have been programmed.

Your Deposit is not Payment.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Lurch .... the first option did not work. I am going out to try the off to run 8 times in 10 seconds. Does this mean to turn the engine over when you say run? Thanks :)
Expert:  Lurch replied 3 years ago.

sorry for the delay

Does this mean to turn the engine over when you say run?

No, just turn the Key to ON, Off 8 times in 10 seconds......do not start vehicle

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lurch ~

Sorry to keep bothering you, but I am thinking maybe I did not explain my issue properly. The keyless entry clicker on my keyring will lock and unlock the car. The issue I am having is that the keyless entry will not automatically open the liftgate, nor either side door on the vehicle. Also, once inside the car, there are buttons up top that will do the same thing. There is a button to push to open either side door and the liftgate as well. This is the issue ... the clicker locks or unlocks the car. The other buttons are not working to open the slide doors or back liftgate. The buttons inside the car on the roof of the vehicle are not working to do this either. Once the slide doors are unlocked and the doors are manually opened, I can close them with the automatic door button on the inside of the opening on each side. However, I can't do this with the remote nor with any of the buttons located on the roof of the car. I had no issues with any of this before the battery went out. I know it has to be something with resetting something inside the vehicle, but don't know how. Also, in the manual it says to take out and put back in the fuse on the passenger side, but I have yet to find a fuse box on the passenger side of the car. We have found the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side, but that is the only one I can locate.

The computer system in the car seems fine, as the outside temp reading, computerized odometer, fluid check, tire pressure, miles to go, etc is reading fine inside. I just need to find a way to get the auto doors on each side and the back liftgate to open with either the remote or with the buttons on the roof of the inside.

sorry if I didn't make that clear earlier. The remote locks and unlocks the car, but that is all it will do. Something else is going on, as the remote must be still programmed to get that to happen.

I have tried all steps you suggested, but I am wondering if I worded my original question properly. Sorry for the confusion ~ are there 2 fuse boxes on this vehicle and if so, where is the fuse box for the passenger side?

Again, I appreciate your help ~ I just hate to take this to the dealership to pay several hundred dollars when I am sure there is something I am overlooking.

Expert:  Lurch replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the added info.

You posted:
the clicker will not automatically open the doors or liftgate

sorry for the misunderstanding, as I thought you were referring to ALL doors

If the isue is the side doors & liftgate, then programming is needed by Dealer Scan Tool for the power liftgate module & side door module

You could disconnect Positive Battery Cable for apprx 5 minutes & see if it resets

Your Deposit is not Payment.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Allow me to help in diagnosing your vehicle! If I helped make sure to hit ACCEPT button so as I can get credited. Here is the initialization procedure.The SJB is the interior fuse box drivers side under dash.

Power Sliding Door Initialization Printable View (79 KB)

1. Disconnecting the battery or smart junction box (SJB) fuse 11 (5A) will cause the power sliding door control module to lose memory. The power sliding door initialization procedure must be carried out before the power sliding doors will operate under all conditions. The power sliding door initialization procedure is a learning process for the module to identify the full open position and the full closed position. After power is restored to the vehicle, initialize the sliding doors as follows:
    1. Make sure both power sliding doors are fully closed and latched.
    1. Make sure both power sliding doors are unlocked.
    1. Make sure the vehicle is in PARK.
    1. Make sure that the fuel filler door is closed.
    1. Switch the overhead console power sliding door on/off switch to On.
    1. NOTE: The remote transmitter or B-pillar switches may be used in place of the overhead console open/close switches to initialize the power sliding doors.

Press the driver and passenger overhead console open/close switches to open the driver and passenger power sliding doors.

After the power sliding doors are full open and stopped, press the driver and passenger overhead console open/close switches to close the driver and passenger power sliding doors.

Power Liftgate Initialization Printable View (78 KB)

NOTE: If the power liftgate system is turned OFF in the message center, the system cannot be activated with any switches or with the liftgate handle. The system will need to be turned ON for any power operation to occur.

NOTE: The power liftgate may not operate under the following conditions:

• A low voltage or dead battery
      • A disconnected battery
      • A power liftgate that has been left open for more than 6 hours
      • A power liftgate that has been manually closed and left ajar

If any of these conditions has occurred, the power liftgate must be reset.

1. Manually close and fully latch the power liftgate.
      1. NOTE: If the power liftgate does not open during this step, refer to the symptom chart to diagnose the power liftgate for no operation.

Power open the power liftgate by using the key fob or overhead console switch.
      1. Once the power liftgate is fully open, close the power liftgate by using the key fob or overhead console switch.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Lurch replied 3 years ago.

sorry for the problems..............

while the above expert is correct about "Initialization", the problem you have sounds like a Programming issue & you need to have Dealer Scan vehicle for ALL Trouble Codes

There is also a Tech Bulletin for Trouble Code C1999, which fits this problem

Use of Dealer Scan Tool is needed to clear this & any other Body Trouble Code to program or test system

should be less than 1 hour labor

Your Deposit is not Payment.
Payment is deducted from your Deposit when you click ACCEPT
You need to click ACCEPT so I may be compensated a small portion