Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2005 ford focus: stalled..park..all the dash lights to come..odometer

2005 ford focus- while i was driving the car it chugged for a minute then stalled. When i put the car in park and tried to start it back up, I got all the dash lights to come on, odometer displays dash marks. but nothing from the starter at all. it's like i'm not even turning the key. Any ideas?

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

So far based on this info it sure looks like the alternator failed and the battery went dead. First off turn o n the headlights and see if there bright and then try to start it and see if they remain bright. If there dim or go out then its a battery voltage issue and alternator fault. if there fine then insert the key and watch the theft light blink slowly, now turn it to the run position and see if the theft light goes out, if it does not and blinks rapidly then the PATS system has failed and a ford scan tool is needed for diagnostics and then to reprogram the 2 keys to the vehicle.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well it's not the battery, the lights don't dim at all when attempting to start the car. the theft light doesn't go out when turning the key to "run" position, but i asked about that already at the dealership, and was told it doesn't turn off until the car starts up. I did try it to see if there was any change in the speed at which the light blinks when i insert it and turn it to the "run" position. There was no change, the light blinked at the same speed the entire time.
Did the vehicle actually die or did you shut it off? When you try to start it get a helper to look at the serpentine belt to see if it even makes a hint to move. If it does then try and turn the engine over by hand using a ratchet on the crankshaft pulley to make sure its not locked up from a timing component failure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

first off, the car died after i had stopped at a stop sign and went through an intersection got about half way through and the car started to chug along for a second then it just stalled out. I looked at the serpentine belt and there is no movement at all. however i found two wires attached to a small black module that had come frayed off the module. i have the numbers tht were on the part.

not sure if these mean anything for the part itself but

thats what was on the module, i haven't a clue what the module does, but the wires lead from that module to a quick connect plug at the top of the head.

That may be it, thats the ignition capacitor and if the wires are frayed then they need to be electrical taped up and free from grounding out and fuse 9 (20 amp) needs to be checked to see if its blown.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you very much, I looked and the fuse you suggested was blown, so i guess i need to get a replacement Capacitor and fuse.

Sorry about not responding back that night, i ran out of time to work on the car and didn't get any time until today.

Thanks again, I'll accept the answer.

Your welcome