Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford Taurus SE How do you replace the bank 1 catalytic converter

How do you replace the bank 1 catalytic converter on a 2003 Ford Taurus?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The Cat converters on your 2003 are serviced as an assembly, both converters and the Y Pipe are one unit from the Factory. I have enclosed the Factory replacement instructions, let me know if you need more help.

DOWNLOAD HERE
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ron the bank 1 cat converter is the one that is connected directly to the exaust manifold between the fire wall and the engine, not the y pipe.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Yes that is correct but they are not serviced as seperate units, the are made on the Y pipe for both bank one and bank two as one assembly.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The picture on the answer you just sent me doesn't match the part I'm replacing. the part I'm replacing looks like an exaust manifold attached to a catalytic converter.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The instructions I sent is for the Y pipe assembly which has both the bank one and bank 2 converters built on to it , the cats do not unbolt from the Y Pipe, its one assembly . If you are replace the Bank one Cat this it the correct procedure, are you sure your replacing the Cat?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I'm replacing the cat. This vehicle has 3 catalytic converters on it. Bank 1, Bank 2, these have sensors on them and then there's a third converter on the exhaust pipe.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The HO2S sensor are mounted in the Exhaust pipe on the Y pipe just ahead of the Cat , then the Y Pipe hooks to the manifold and the Cats are part of the Y Pipe and not serviced seperate, they have be replace as one assembly with the Y pipe. .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Maybe it'll help if I give you the part number, it's 16223, it comes of the back side of the engine to the y pipe.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The part number isnt a valid part number, The Y pipe bolts to the exhauxt manifold on both sides. If the Bank one converter can be replaced seperate than the Y pipe still has to come off. Depending on weather you have the 4 valve or the 2 valve engine, here is what they look like.

graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have the 3.0 24 Valve DOHC engine.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

See if this file help you a bit, It shows the complete exhaust system.

DOWNLOAD HERE

24 Vlave here.