Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

2004 taurus: a the air conditioner clutch is worn..bypass

i have a 2004 taurus and a the air conditioner clutch is worn out, is there a way to bypass the air conditioner without replacing it. I'm hoping to avoid investing too much money into the vehicle (134K in miles)
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 3 years ago.

if it is the clutch that has failed,and if the pulley is still good then depending on the scenario you have a few options. If the a/c clutch or pully arent making any noise when the a/c is off,but IS when the a/c is engaged, then you can unplug the cycling switch connecter(or the a/c compressor connecter) to prevent the compressor from turning on. If the clutch itself has failed but the pulley is ok, then ,given with the correct tools, you can remove the a/c clutch without removing the compressor, and either remove the loose parts from the clutch disc and reinstall it, or you can install a new clutch disc,which costs around $70. If the pulley itself is noisey,then unfortunately the only way to correct this is either by removing the compressor and installing a new clutch and pulley, or you can check with your local autoparts store for a serpentine belt that is for a non-a/c equiped vehicle to bypass the compressor all together

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this info helps me to bypass the air conditioner but will that be effective because the main problem I have right now is that the car is stalling (won't idle-"check engine" light is on) because it is tripping the fuse that controls the air conditioner controls a bunch of other stuff. I was told it was related to the air conditioner and there is no after market part avail to bypass the air conditioner

local autoparts stores should be able to match up a belt that could bypass the a/c compressor ,but if the fuse keeps blowing, i would suspect the a/c compressor to be seized, which isn't uncommon on these models, and if this is the case then i would suggest unplugging the cycling switch on the accumulator,on the passenger side underhood, this will prevent the a/c clutch from engaging and attempting to turn the compressor if it is seized, and this should prevent the vehicle from stalling. Given it is a seized compressor causing this concern

Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure