Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

Cylinder #8 Misfire 2002 Ford Explorer V8

Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, have you tried anything for repairs yet? The reason I need to know, is because the may misfire and the coolant leak may or may not be related. Can you see the coolant leak or is it just losing coolant? Is there any smoke from the exhaust while it is running? Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Have you tried anything for repairs yet? No.

The reason I need to know, is because the may misfire and the coolant leak may or may not be related.

2. Can you see the coolant leak or is it just losing coolant? I was 'told' it is losing coolant. replaced the coolant and it took almost the entire gallon of coolant. They said they see evidence around the intake manifold area.

3. Is there any smoke from the exhaust while it is running? No smoke. car driving rough and stumbling from time to time.

Thanks

Ok, if the intake manifold is leaking, the correct repair would be to replace the gaskets. On this model the intake manifold is plastic and there is a good chance that the intake will have to be replaced. This can only be determined upon inspection when removed. Just giving you an idea that it may be an additional cost for repairs. The misfire on cylinder #8 is the rear most cylinder on the driver side. It can normally be remedied by replacing the ignition coil and sparkplug on that cylinder. Figure 3 hours labor and about $60 for the gaskets for the intake manifold. If the manifold is bad, figure around another $700 for the manifold. For the misfire, 1 hour labor for the coil and sparkplug, the coil is about $100 and the sparkplug is about $12. Now it would be advised to replace the remaining sparkplugs at this time. another 2 hours labor and $84 for the remaining sparkplugs. These are suggested retail prices and may vary in your area. Thanks
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The quotes I have so far to repair the intake manifold and replace coil boots: Ford Dealer $1169 and another non-dealer repair quoted $1199, includes labor and parts.

I hope replacing the coil boots takes care of the spark plugs, too!

The Ford dealer will win this one since the parts are factory! Thanks

Great, since you are using the dealer you get the advantage of having a nationwide warranty for repairs at any Ford dealer. Thanks Again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas, Holidays, etc.!
You have a Great and safe Christmas as well