Bob
Bob, Ford Technician
Experience:  23 years @ Ford, 1997 Ford Master Technician Specializing in Engine,Transmission & Electrical Repair

Ford E150 Econoline Where is the ignition control module located

Customer Question

Where is the ignition control module located on my 1989 E150 van with 302 V8?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.

Bob :

Hello, this is Bob. I will do my best to assist you.

Customer :

According to another site, the ignition control module is located on the left fender skirt. It is no there. This engine has the push on rotor.

Bob :

Some have the ignition module on the distributor similar to this.

Full Size Image

Bob :

You don't have spark correct?

Bob :

The remote mount looks like this.

Full Size Image

Customer :

Occasionally have spark but seems weak. Cable out of distributor goes up to wiring bundle into dash.

Customer :

Replaced coil and rotor, cap, wires, plugs

Bob :

Then it has to be a remote mount. Look by the speed control servo.

Customer :

Where's that?

Bob :

Usually mounted on the left fender.

Customer :

Nothin on the left fender but the windshield washer reservoir.

Customer :

that is the drivers side fender, correct, not the left as you look in the front?

Bob :

The ignition module will be mounted in an aluminum heat sink mounted to the left fender.

Bob :

Left is drivers side correct.

Customer :

Like I said, nothing there but the washer reservoir.

Bob :

Look closer to the drivers side fire wall.

Bob :

Do you have a flat connector on the distributor or a round one?

Customer :

Do you have a picture or drawing of the module? According to NAPA, the module should have two cables coming out of it. Is this correct?

Customer :

Flat connector

Bob :

Then the ignition module is on the distributor where the flat connector plugs on distributor.

Customer :

OK,, sorry, I just saw your second drawing. That does not look like the one NAPA had.

Customer :

I just saw your second drawing. That is not like the one NAPA shows.

Customer :

OK, let me check. Is it inside the connector?

Bob :

Here is a photo of the module. It is fastened to the side of the distibutor with 2 7/32 screws.

Full Size Image

Bob :

The head of the screws is 7/32".

Customer :

Do you have to pull the distributor out?

Bob :

No but you will need to loosen the distributor mounting bolt and turn the distributor so that you can get the 2 fasteners out.

Bob :

If you mark the distributor before you loosen it then align the marks again so that you won't have to time the engine when you are done.

Customer :

Ok

Bob :

Also the distributor can be siezed in the block if it has never been moved.

Bob, Ford Technician
Experience: 23 years @ Ford, 1997 Ford Master Technician Specializing in Engine,Transmission & Electrical Repair