kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

2001 Ford Windstar: Im driving..engine shuts down..comes right back

Customer Question

Why does my 2001 Ford Windstar shut off while I'm driving? The lights and radio stay on but the engine shuts down completely then comes right back on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

kalamykid :

Do you have to restart the engine or does it stop running and then pick back up on its own?

kalamykid :

How often does this happen?

Customer :

I have to restart it. Wed. night I could not go a whole block without stopping and restarting. Today I drove about 8 blocks and then it cut-off.

kalamykid :

How hard is it to restar?

Customer :

very easy

kalamykid :

Let me look up the system for you van. Be right back.

Customer :

ok

kalamykid :

There are two reasons the engine would cut off. the lack of spark or fuel. Do you have a fuel pressure tester?

Customer :

No.

kalamykid :

Can you rent one from auto zone or advance auto parts?

Customer :

How would I test it? Is this dificult? Is it big?

kalamykid :

No it is not hard. There is a test port on the fuel rail that the tester would attach to. When you take the tester back they will give you all your money back. the tester scews onto the test port and there is a hose with a gauge on the other end.

Customer :

how long do you leave it on?

kalamykid :

What i need you to do is to connect it to the test port, run the hose under the hopod up to the windshield so you can see it driving down the road. See if the pressure drops before the engine dies. Make sure there are no leaks where the tester conects to the test port. I also need to know what the pressure is.

Customer :

ok. I just called. They have one available now.

kalamykid :

Let me know when you get back. If you are not sure where to connect it they should be able to show you where you get it.

Customer :

what is your estimate for the worst case senario as far as the cost if this is the problem?

kalamykid :

If it is the fuel pump cutting out it can be as little as $10.00 and as much as $400.00

kalamykid :

With my help I can walk you through all the testing and the repaire and you will save a bundle on labor versus taking it in for repair.

Customer :

Ok. I will Let you know when I get back.

kalamykid :

Make sure there are no leaks