HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  23 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

1994 ford ranger: tranny..rebuild..diagram or tear..gears and parts

Customer Question

I have a 1994 ford ranger 5 speed tranny I am going to rebuild, can you send me a diagram or tear down procedure out of a ford shop manual or all data, or tell me where online I could get this infomation on line? also do you know where I could get gears and parts for it other than ford?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 years ago.

Autozone.com gives some basic information online, but your best bet would be to stop at a local parts store and purchase a repair manual dvd for your vehicle, it should have all the info you are looking for. Depending on what you are doing or replacing in the trans would give a better detail as to what you need to do. All the gears press on and off so you would need a hydraulic press ideally to make this type of repair. Any trans repair shop should be the best way to get manual trans parts and see if they are correct on hand otherwise an internet search will give up several different sources for your trans which is a mazda 5 speed or called an M5OD trans.

Here is a link with some helpful information and some pictures of it disassembled.

Explorer/Ranger Forum

HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience: 23 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
looks like my input shaft and counter shaft are bad, to start taking this apart do you remove the nuts on the end of the shaft or are there locking rings or do you have to start pressing it apart to get the assembly out, or can you take the whole asseblly out?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 years ago.
There should be nuts at the end of the shaft but for complete disassembly as mention in the link a service manual would be best for every little detail, there are lots of details involved in the building of a transmission, there are not too difficult to do but attention to detail is key.