Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

Ford F150 I need to replace the passenger side vent window

Customer Question

I need to replace the passenger side vent window glass on a 1993 Ford F150 standard cab. I need to remove the locking mechanism to install the new glass. There appears to be an expansion pin holding the lock in place. I have tried to drive it out using a small Allen wrench that does not slide through the pin. It will not budge. Am I on the right track to remove the pin or is there some other way to remove the locking mechanism? If I am on the right track, any suggestions to "unfreeze" the pin. Is there a special tool that works "really well"?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-a7xwx7v3-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. There is a special tool designed for the glass removal, it would almost be easier to replace the vent window assembly as a whole, if you need I can send replacement instructions.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Edited by Shawn on 11/23/2010 at 10:39 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already have the glass in transit. I have all of the glass removed from the frame. I just need to get the locking mechanism off of the frame so I can put the new glass in. I need the rest of the information for this portion of the procedure.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-a7xwx7v3-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The glass and handle come as a unit, the instructions are below.

If the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.

Vent Window Assembly and Weatherstrip Replacement Instructions Click Here

Vent Window Glass

Removal

1. Open the vent window.
  2. Push the glass from the glass frame using Glass and Channel Removal Tool 2900 or equivalent.
  3. Clean the glass frame of tape and sealer.

Installation

1. Apply sealer to the glass frame.
  2. Install the glass and new tape in the glass frame using Glass and Channel Removal Tool 2900 or equivalent.
  3. Trim the excess edges of the tape around the glass frame and clean the glass and surrounding area.
    graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, you either do not understand my question or do not know the answer. As I said in my last response, I have already remove the glass and channel removed from the frame. In order to install the new glass I need to remove the lever locking mechanism from the frame. How do you do this? You have one more chance to give a good answer.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-a7xwx7v3-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The latch assembly does not need to be removed in order to replace the glass, see instructions below.

Othere than that there are no instructions available, the info I have sent is diretly from Ford.

I would als try contacting the guys at LMC truck www.lmctruck.com they may have a solution for you, we usually replace as an entire unit.

Vent Window Glass

Removal

1. Open the vent window.

Installation

1. Apply sealer to the glass frame.

graphic

Edited by Shawn on 11/23/2010 at 11:30 PM EST
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Other than that there are no instructions available, the info I have sent is diretly from Ford.

I would als try contacting the guys at LMC truck http://www.lmctruck.com/ they may have a solution for you, we usually replace as an entire unit.