someguy_78
someguy_78, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have an associate degree in the Ford A.S.S.E.T. program. I am master certified.13 years experience
19718845

2001 Ford Ranger: wont shift..dash indicator light..couple times

Customer Question

My 2001 Ford Ranger wont shift into four wheel drive at all. The dash indicator light will not come on either. I hardly ever use four wheel drive but try to run in four wheel drive at least a couple times a year. I jump started it several times recentrly and I just put in a new battery.
Category: Ford
Expert:  someguy_78 replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Sounds like your shift motor is sticking. The transfer case shift motor is mounted on the back of the transfer case. It is an electric motor and sometimes sticks. You can try lightly tapping on it with a hammer while someone tries shifting into 4x4 high. If it goes into 4x4 then you need a new shift motor. It is very common and not a difficult repair.

Scott

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, thanks. If that doesn't work, anything else could be the problem?

Check that and then you can get back to me on here. It could be many things. That is your best bet though. If that doesn't work let me know and we can go from there. Also if you "accept" we can still continue talking on here. Just let me know. Thanks.

Scott

someguy_78, Ford Technician
Experience: I have an associate degree in the Ford A.S.S.E.T. program. I am master certified.13 years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. I tried banging on the shift motor while the vehicle was in park and someone else switched into four wheel drive, with no results. Tried this twice. Just so I hit the right motor, the shift case is rear of the transmission, correct? I will accept your answer now but would like to keep on talking. What would be the next thing to check?

This is the first time I've used this web site. Do I have to stay on, or can I log off and check back in later?

Yes the transfer case is on the back of the transmission. You can log off and come back. When you send me a reply I will see it. If I'm not online I will get back to you as soon as I see it. Do the 4x4 lights light up when you start the truck? They should come on for a few seconds then go out when truck starts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, they don't come on when I start the truck

Ok, since the lights didn't come on at all you may have an issue with your 4x4 module. It's located in the passenger side kick panel (where your passengers feet would be). Pull off that panel and disconnect the connectors to the module. Wait a couple minutes and then plug back in. Recheck your 4x4 operation. That might reset it. Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I pulled out the 4x4CM module, disconnected the two connectors, waited a while, plugged the connectors back in. Still no lights came on at all, no 4x4 operation. I assume I was to do all this with the ignition off?

Yes. Ok now I need you to check for power/voltage at these pins on the 4x4 module connectors. It's pins 1,2,9 on one connector and pin 16 on the other. The color of the wires are in the diagram. For example pinXXXXXYE which is red with a yellow stripe. Check for power at these pins.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is getting somewhat beyond what I want to try myself and the time I have to troubleshoot. I was hoping it would turn out to be a simple to remedy. I will have to take it in to the shop. Can you give me any advise on where to take it. Should I take it to an automotive electrical specialist, a transmission specialist or to a general auto repair shop, Thanks for your help.

Ok. Yeah it is getting involved. You were not one of the lucky ones who could just tap on the shift motor as most often are the case. Honestly I recommend the dealer. They are the best at what they do. Yes more expensive but independent shops tend to guess and that ends up costing you more in the long run. If you don't want to go to the dealer then just a general repair garage will do. No a trans specialist, not their area of expertise. Sorry we couldn't pinpoint this easier.

Scott

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK Thanks. I'll take it to the dealer.

Your welcome.