NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master, Including Ford Diesel Master

Ford Taurus SE 98 taurus se, starting problems, car will not

98 taurus se, starting problems, car will not restart on occasion, problem started last year @ about 108000.miles, car runs fine between thanksgiving last year till 3 sundays ago, would not restart (about 6-8 times), after letting set about 30 min. car would start, last 2 sundays and last fri. car would not start, left overnight damn thing would start, have had to 3 different mechanics none could find any thing wrong, said they would have to have failure to find problem. this last fri. i replaced the fuel pump relay switch after failure but had no effect, car has 110000. miles and is in prime condition otherwise, i would like to keep this car but it has to be reliable. i see on various web sites this problem is not new to the 98 taurus, but no answers to this problem have been found.
Category: Ford
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help. This is going to be a fault with the fuel pump itself.

Although you have not been able to verify it, I have never seen your symptoms, especailly as intermittent as you described, be anything else. Any chance the problem happens more during a weather change? temperature change in your area? This is another factor that points to the fuel pump. Replace the fuel pump, located in your fuel tank and the problem will be fixed. This is not a shot in the dark.

Let me know if you have any more concerns about this question, or my answer, will be very happy to help!