Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

1997 Ford F150: core..times within..the winter..air conditioning

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Ford F150 4X4 and I have changed the heating core 4 times within 5 years. It lasts through the winter and then no heat the next winter. My air conditioning works great during the summer. The door seems to be working fine; opens and closes. Heating core has hot water going through, but no heat coming out...Help us! Any advice, we are going to have to replace it again, and we are tired of putting out the money for it and the next winter it doesn't work.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

If both heater hoses are hot going to the heater core, then more than likely the blend door actuator is bad and will need to be replaced. This is pretty common on this truck. It is located in the center of the dash just above the hump. Sometimes just wiggling the connector going to the actuator will cause it to start working. If it doesn't replace the actuator.

Thanks

graphic

Experience: Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have watched this door open and close as needed, so I believe the Actuator is working fine. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Next, check the heater control knob for any signs of cracking by pulling it off. Replace the knob if you see any cracks.

If both heater hoses are hot to the touch and the blend door actuator is moving, then there is only one thing left, the blend door is broken or cracked where the actuator attaches to the blend door. You can sometimes see this by removing the actuator and looking at the blend door itself with a flash light for any signs of cracks. If you find the door broken or cracked, then replace the door. This is a very common issue. I have a link below that you might want to check and see if you want to fix it this way. Looks like you don't have to remove the dash. I've never use this before so I'm not sure if it would work. Just something I've seen over the years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270256062691&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=e9532fd91150a0eb98b0dd00fffdbaa3&rvr_id=&ua=WVF%3F&itemid=270256062691

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have you ever heard of the Heater Core getting a film inside that prevents it from transferring heat? We have hot water on each side of the heater core, we have checked on blended door and it is opening. When we change the heater core we have heat, but changing the heater core every year is getting old fast. We looked at the blended door fix, but don't think that is the problem. If it was the problem, we would have to change the blended each time we did the heater core and that is not the case.

Thanks

If the heater core had a flow issue, you should be able to tell by a different temperature of the inlet and outlet of the heater hoses.

I'm curious, how are you able to tell the blend door is moving?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can turn the blend door by hand with the actuator motor removed. I do not see any cracks in the blend door.

Thanks

I have given you all the answers I have seen on these trucks. So I will opt out and allow another tech here for you.

Thanks

Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

If your blend door acuator is moving when you watch it and both heater hoses are real hot, then you most likely do have a broken blend door. You may be able to move it by hand but there is no way to see it with out removing it.