john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field

Ford Focus SE 2007 Ford Focus airbag warning light stays on.

Customer Question

2007 Ford Focus airbag warning light stays on. Nothing obviously loose under the passenger seat.
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 5 years ago.
has the air bag codes been pulled?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No one has looked at the car other than me. I am not familiar with any codes.
the diagnostic trouble codes need to be pulled with a code reader that has air bag functions to find the root of the failure
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If your answer is that I need to go see a Ford Dealer or other similar person with diagnostic equipment in order to determine the problem, how is that anything that I didn't already know?

I find this answer to be so obvioius as to be without worth to me.

If you need my money badly enough to merely tell me to go see a professional mechanic then keep it.

There is no way I can lie about this and say that I am satisfied with the answer.
i can tell you its likley the clock spring in the steering column....but i would want to have a trouble code pulled to verify....most parts stores have a rental scan tool that can access these rather tell you to pay to have the codes pulled then to guess at part replacement..and i have no money issue....i am just being honest and informative
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will settle for any approach that will disable this light, regardless of whether it remedies the problem with the airbag sensor. If you can explain that to me it will suffice.
the only way is to fix the problem or remove the instrument gauge cluster and remove the bulb...but the air bag light being on means the air bag system is not working and will not work in a accident
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I presume that if the airbag light is on it must either mean that the system is not working or the sensor is defective. I am not sophisticated enough in this area to know whether or not the design is such that it is impossible for the light to be on while the system is still operational or not, but accept that this is a possibility.

You have been most civil and professional in this exchange. I have not benefitted from the e-mail dialogue, but do not wish to belabor the matter, so I will click on the "Accept Answer" icon in order to bring the discussion to a close.

I am disappointed but not angry and accept that you have done your best for me.

Obie Anderson
best of luck