Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech
Experience:  17 yrs. experience as a shop owner with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech. and Mazda Certified.
49548721

2000 Ford Focus: connectors..the intake manifold..rebuilt..hoses

There are four connectors on the back of the intake manifold for my 2000 Ford Focus SOHC engine. We are reinstalling the engine and trying to figure out where those four connectors go... One problem is the company who rebuilt the head for us, cleaned out the intake manifold as well, and lost one of the attached solid plastic hoses that went on to one of the connectors. We're not sure what that hose was called, or where it went, so we can order a replacement. I have searched online for a diagram of the motor but haven't found one that details these connectors. Thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist.

If all 4 connectors are the same, I would say they are for the injectors.

graphic

graphic

For your missing hose concern, Does it attach to a plastic nipple on the intake manifold?? It may be the tube for the EVAP purge solenoid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a photograph of the tube that we are missing and the connectors on the rear of the intake manifold. Will that help identify them? Can i send that picture somehow?
Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

Only if you can upload it into your reply. I can send you a wiring diagram and you can match the wire color and number of wires to each connector.

Are all the components in your car missing any connectors?? Sensors that are not hooked up. The length of the wiring harness will determine all the sensors that will be in reach of the harness. Look for anything not connected.

Drew, Super Mazda Tech
Experience: 17 yrs. experience as a shop owner with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech. and Mazda Certified.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I attached a few pictures of the intake manifold and the steel connector spots that we are trying to identify. I'm also hoping you may be able to tell what the missing tube is since we had a photo of it before we brought it to the engine shop. Thanks!!!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
lol.. okay... in my picture i mentioned that there was radiator fluid coming from teh one connector, im realizing now, that shouldnt be. I had another hose in the wrong place which caused that to happen. Please disregard that comment in determing the correct connections. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I hit the Accept button on accident. I dont know if that pulls my question out of the queue or not.  Sorry.<br />
Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

Now I understand. I thought you meant 4 electrical connectors.

The 1 big vacuum fitting goes to the brake booster.

The small vacuum fitting goes to EGR valve position switch.

The PCV hose that attaches to the valve cover should go to the other big fitting.

Here is a diagram of the vacuum hose and EVAP hose location.

graphic

1. EVAP solenoid valve vacuum hose
  2. Brake booster vacuum hose
  3. DPFE
  4. EGR valve

graphic

• Attach the coolant hose to the intake manifold.
  •  

#4 in this diagram is the purge solenoid. There should be two plastic lines on it. One of them goes to the throttle body and one goes to the rear of the car(charcoal canister.)

The hose/plastic tube you are missing, goes from the purge solenoid to the intake manifold.

graphic

Edited by Drew (supermazdatech) on 11/18/2010 at 11:29 PM EST
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    Awesome. Okay. So now we determined the connector for #7 in our photo is the coolant hose, and where the missing plastic fitted line goes. We are still a bit confused as to what specifically will connect to the port labeled as #8. Are there two connectors on the intake manifold for coolant lines? There is also another port below #8 that is not show in the picture.
    Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. I have a family and one of my daughters had a school program tonight.

Ok. The other two ports are vacuum. One goes to the vacuum power brake booster. The other port supplies vacuum to the EGR valve position solenoid (EVP). Here is a diagram of the EVP solenoid.

graphic

Your other coolant passage on the intake should connect the the left over coolant hose.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    Still not sure what connects to pipe marked as # XXXXX and also pipe below #8 that is hidden. I have a rubber connector with 4 very small plastic lines coming out of it, does it connect to #8 or to the pipe hidden below ? Also I have a water line that comes off the hose that goes into the heater core, does it connect to #8 or to the hidden pipe ? Both the #8 pipe and the hidden pipe go directly into the intake manifold so I cannot see the water line connecting to either or it would fill the intake up with radiator water.
    Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

The rubber hose with 4 small plastic lines coming out is what connects to #8. It is supply vacuum to solenoids. There should be one that connects to the brake booster hose and one that connects to the valve cover PCV hose.

Drew, Super Mazda Tech