Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

Ford Focus I need to replace my instrument cluster on a 05

I need to replace my instrument cluster on a 05 Focus due to the Odometer being flaky (not all segments displaying). Will the cluster from an 06 or 07 fit as well as one from an 05, or will I need to replace it with a cluster from an 05 only? I read online (http://forums.focaljet.com/interior-modifications/605531-cluster-replacement.html) that an 05, 06, or 07 will fit an 06, so I figured they would be interchangeable, but when I find an 06 or 07 for sale it does not show the 05 as compatible. My local dealer will not give me any compatibility info as they wants me to purchase a new one from them.

Country: United States
Make: Ford
Model: Focus SE ZX4
Year: 2005

I received this reply previously...
below are part numbers for each year, and as you can see they are interchangeable as they are the same part number. you need to look on the back of yours for the part number to know which one of the 3 possbilities(low, high series, or performance):

2005 Ford Focus L4-2.0L VIN N
Part OEM Part Price
Instrument Cluster / Carrier
Instrument Cluster
Low Series 4S4Z10849FA $326.15
High Series 4S4Z10849BA $332.31
Performance Instrumentation 4S4Z10849HA $427.69

2006 Ford Focus L4-2.0L VIN N
Part OEM Part Price
Instrument Cluster / Carrier
Instrument Cluster
Low Series 4S4Z10849FA $326.15
High Series 4S4Z10849BA $332.31

2007 Ford Focus L4-2.0L VIN N
Parts Information
Part OEM Part Price
Instrument Cluster / Carrier
Instrument Cluster
Low Series 4S4Z10849FA $326.15
High Series 4S4Z10849BA $332.31

My follow up yo that question was...
I am seeing part numbers 6S4T10849BA or 6S4T10849FA that state they are for 06 and 07. Some show with a tach, others don't. Which is which, and can I use these other part numbers (are they just new numbers for the old hardware with fixes)?

But I never got a reply for this question.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

It should work the part numbers are the same up to 07

Steve :

you will need to remove the program from the old instrument cluster and intall it into the new instrument cluster

Customer:

Hi Stev.

Steve :

and program the pcm and the computer together for it to start

Steve :

hi

Steve :

I checked the part numbers and they are the same

Customer:

If the mileage is close will a direct swap work or will the keys need to be programmed into the new cluster to work. Threads I have been following online indicate no key reprogramming is necessary.

Steve :

The keys are programed into the pcm but the pcm needs to be programed to read the instrument cluster

Customer:

So this would not be able to be done by me? Would I need to bring this to a dealer? The whole idea of using a sav\lvage cluster was to save some cash.

Steve :

two things need to happen remove the program from the old cluster and put it into the new cluster and preform a perimeter program the pcm and instrument cluster can talk to each other

Steve :

Yes a dealer will need to do this

Customer:

OK, Thanks for the help.

Steve :

You would only be saving money maby on the part

Steve :

your welcome

Steve, Ford Technician
Experience: 25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.