Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

2000 Ford Focus trunk latch will not open, either with key

Customer Question

<p>2000 Ford Focus trunk latch will not open, either with key or inside button. Any suggestions on how to get it to open? </p><p>Have tried lifting while pushing button, llifting while turning key, pressing on top or rear of lid while pushing button or turning key. Any suggestions?</p>
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.

Bob :

Hello, this is Bob.

Bob :

Also there should be a release cable. You would need to fold down the rear seats and crawl into the trunk.

Bob :

The release is to prevent someone from being locked in the trunk. You may have to move the cover for the spare tire to see it.

Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.
When you pull the release push up on the trunk lid from inside the trunk. It should open unless something is jammed in the latch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bob,

we can't get into the trunk.... so how can we push up from inside?

I've got to leave right now. I'll be back at my pc in about 2 hours from now.

Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.

Do the rear seats fold down on your focus?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bob,

I'm not sure. This is my wife's car & we've never tried to fold down the rear seats. Per the owner's manual, the rear seat unlocking control for a sedan (our car is a sedan) is located in the trunk.

Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.

To access the trunk latch you will need to remove the rear seats so that you or someone can get inside the trunk to release or remove the latch. Do you feel you want to attempt this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Depends on how complex it is.

Last year I replaced the window control mechanism on my Buick's rear door. Is it more complex than that?

Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.

Shouldn't be any more complicated. First you will need to remove the bottom portion of the rear seat. To release the seat there are a few options. Some seats have a button on each side below the bottom of the seat frame where a passengers legs go that you push in to release seat, others you push the seat bottom towards the rear of the car on both sides to release and some you just pull up on the seat frame where a passenger's legs go. Once it is released then the bottom portion of the seat comes out.

Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.
Once you have the bottom section out you should be able to find the bolts that fasten the seat back in place. With fasteners removed seat back should come out by lifting up towards the roof.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a limit to the time we can keep this chat open?

I'm intending to try removing the seat to get at the problem latch but the weather here has turned colder and I'm waiting for a little warmth on Friday or perhaps Monday so I can work on it without freezing my hands. I'll reply again as soon as I've determined whether I can get to the latch and whether I'm able to fix it without further help, Ok?

Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.

The chat will time out if there is no activity. If I send you a message about once a day and you reply it will stay stay open.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bob,

The wife has been using her car for errands so it's not available to me for seat removal. I'll try to get at it this weekend.

Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.

Ok.

I also was thinking about your situation and the information is from memory since I could not find any procedures in my manuals. You could also have a bottom seat that is hinged on the front side and folds up towards the front seat. So you will need to figure that out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bob,

I've already had the seat bottom up--that's not the problem. The seat back is the barrier.

Flipping the seat up exposes the two anchor bolts for the two belt brackets. I can also see three other bolts which appear to anchor two retainers that keep the seat back and bottom cushions away from the belt clips. These second three bolts are on a common flange which may be anchoring the seat back--I can't really tell for sure.

The seat back appears to be a single unit (not two fold-downs) and I'm guessing that it's fastened in by something other than fold-down latches cuz there's no give when I haul on the edges -- as I would expect if they were only latched in their upright position.

All of the locking bolts are of an Allen-head type that I've not seen before. They take a multi-point star-shaped bit of some kind. Have you had any experience removing this seat? What kind of tool or drive bit do I need? Any idea where I might rent or buy it?

Are there other fasteners that are anchoring the seat back? If yes, where are they?

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Different tech here, There is no way to get the rear seat back down without pulling the release cable in the trunk. Pop the seat belt retractor cover off and use a coat hanger and flashlight and mirror stick to work in through this opening to reach in and grab the release cable to pull it. Once inside the trunk through the rear seats, you can then disassemble the latch and get the trunk lid open so you can install a new latch.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Chris,

There are two retractor covers. I've popped them both and can see no release cable and no space to insert flashlight, mirror stick, or coat hanger into the trunk area to look for said release cable.

Your not going to find a large opening, its only the size of a dime. You by no means can get your hands or tools in. You use the flashlight and mirror to aid in viewing through the small holes to see the cable which is connected to the pull handle and latch on the outboard side of each rear seat back. On the first vehicle I did this on I pulled and yanked and pryed till I was able to get my hand in under the shelf and damaged more than the lock, that when I found out the coat hanger trick. This is what your trying to get to.

graphic

use this method or get a drill and drill out the trunk lid key cylinder to get the trunk lid open.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I expected advice I can follow to achieve a solution. This "solution" seems impossible. Which of the two retractor covers hides this dime-sized hole? Where can I get a mirror stick smaller than a dime? Where exactly is the release cable located. I would expect answers to these questions if you've done this successfully in the past.

I'll be away from this location until Monday after Thanksgiving.

Your not going to be sticking the mirror through any hole, your going to use it to shine light into the trunk, and to be able to see in to get the coat hanger in. There is no ford procedure to do this since ford has no procedure for this failure. I am just telling you what I have done on about a dozen focus's. You may need to pry the rear shelf up a little bit to see better. If you find that you just can do it, then thats okay. You will then need to drill out the lock on the trunk lid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chris,

Sorry I didn't get back to you. I thought this item would have been wiped out of the system by now. My wife told me she was willing to live with no trunk access. Then I told her what about access to the spare in case she needed it? She then immediately took it to our regular mechanic (former Ford-certified) who was able to fix it. They said they tried the coat hanger method but had to remove the seat back (with "some forcing") to gain access. Had to replace the latch mechanism. Wish you worked for them.

I guess you would have had to been here or sent some detailed graphics about how to use the coat hanger in order to help me out.

Glad its fixed