Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  17 YEARS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, TRUCK&COACH TECHNICIAN LICENCE
41577536

Ford E-250 1995 ford econoline van - I turn the key half way

Customer Question

1995 ford econoline van - I turn the key half way expecting to here the injectors/fuel pump. No sound.No start. Is there a fuse or relay I could replace or is it looking like a new fuel pump/gas tank.?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 4 years ago.

Pavlin Koev :

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your vehicle trouble. yes there is fuses and relays, give me couple of minutes to check locations.

Customer:

Hello Pavlin, My name isXXXXX for checking.

Pavlin Koev :

Hi, Gordon! there are 3 fuses you need to check U-I-O in engine compartment fuse box

Pavlin Koev :

use test light on either terminal of the fuse box for best resolts.

Customer:

U-I-O

Customer:

I will check and get back

Pavlin Koev :

I and O fusws must have power all the time, fuse -U has ignition power

Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience: 17 YEARS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, TRUCK&COACH TECHNICIAN LICENCE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Pavlin.

I am Trying to find U-I-O. My user manual does not list the letters for the distribution box. Is on of the relays the fuel relay?

it is in engine compartment, just a minute I am trying to find the diagram
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I looked at the fuse box in the engine compartment. I fould letters, just not U-I-or O.

Here is cross reference chartgraphic

Here is the lay out-graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks very much.
I hope it will solve the problem, if not let me know, we can go further in testing. Regards Pavlin
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Pavlin, it appears that everything is fine. My only issue is that your diagram is not the same as the box in the engine compartment. there is an extra row in yours and I do not have any 20 amp fuses.

also, is it possible to change the fuel pump without buying a new fuel tank as well?

Yes you do not have to replace fuel tank, best way to start is locate fuel pump connector and check if power is there within 1st 2 seconds of ignition -ON and afterwords during cranking, I will recheck fuse box, it may be different they very, just a minute.
is this proper fuse boxgraphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I believe so . I would need to see the whole thing.

Is it easy to drain the gas out of the tank?

Just a minute please, check that 30 amp fuse first- you can see it at diagram I send you
I want you to remove fuel pump relay- look at diagram and using test light check cavities. in one there is power all the time. and in one of the others you must have second power with ignition to -ON position -do you have this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Pavlin,

I need the rest of your diagram to make certain I have the right relay. I will have to purchase a light kit and get back to you. Thanks for all of your help.

By the way, does the fuel pump make a high pitched whine before going bad? do they go bad slowly or all at once? Could a bad fuel pump cause excessive idle before going completely bad?

Sorry, I forgot to send it.graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do I need to pay you additional funds for these answers?

usually pump goes at ones, I do not understand what you mean by excessive idle and how it will be connected to fuel pump. I am trying to respond to you with information request so you do not have to pay more, But will be off line in about 20 minutes, and back on later tonight. You can pay extra if you feel like it.

Edited by Pavlin Koev on 11/17/2010 at 9:15 PM EST
if you have power to relay and relay clicks, then check fuel shutoff switch behind right hand cowl panel. dark green and yellow wire supply 12 V from relay. this power must come out of it on the pink and black wire. if not press the button(you will red button) if still no power coming to Pk/Bk wire replace the inertia switch. if power comes out, check for power at same wire color at fuel pump connector, if no power there replace fuel pump. You do not need to drain the tank, use floor jack under to lower it and lift it back in place.

Edited by Pavlin Koev on 11/17/2010 at 9:37 PM EST
I pressed an answer button, but you do not have to press accept.