NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master, Including Ford Diesel Master
21564301

Ford Windstar 1996 ford windstar 3.8 The Transmission fluid

Customer Question

1996 ford windstar 3.8
The Transmission fluid is ok but when I am driveing I will get up to 20 M/H and the Transmission go out of gear 1 but I will not go in to gear 2 and ones I get down to 10 M/H gear one will go back in so ones I get up to 20 M/H it like it goes into neutral the transmission work good up to 20 M/H I just will not up shift do you think it is a Transmission Control Solenoid if not what could it be. I think Transmission ok
Category: Ford
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 3 years ago.
Hi! my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help. Sounds like your transmission is okay in first gear, and when it comes time to 2nd, just goes into neutral. Correct me if I am wrong. This is not a shift solenoid, or valve body, because if it was, would just stay in 1st gear, without the "neutral" feeling, just rpms will raise with engine speed. There is an internal pressure leak in your transmission, and will be a bad intermediate clutch/ piston seal. The transmission must be removed, disasembled to repair. No way around it. Since the fluid still looks good, recommend contacting local shops, transmission shops and explain your situation. Will be much cheaper and more reliable to have your transmission removed and rebuilt, instead of buying a used/ reman transmission. The fact that your fluid looks good means your valve body, torque converter, and pump will not be contaminated, so the shop should not recommend these expensive parts, if so, recommend a new shop.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX this may not be the answer you are hoping for, it is correct, and an accept is greatly appreciated.
Will be here to answer any more questions regarding this problem regardless of accept status.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i was see post say it could be the shift modules or NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH
It definetly can not be due to your trans seeming in neutral when wanting to go into second gear. Please do not believe the posts. If the 1-2 shift solenoid does not open the passange to engage 2nd gear, you will be simply stuck in 1st gear, with no slipping or neutral feeling. A check engine light, along with a code would also be there. If so let me know.

Edited by NicksSticks on 11/17/2010 at 4:46 AM EST
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master, Including Ford Diesel Master
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there was a check engine light but some tould him to un hock the battery so it is not on any more

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: i dont thing he i giveing me a good answer.
i dont thing he i giveing me a good answer
If the check engine light is on, that is good information. I believe my previous answer is correct, but lets figure out what code you have in the system to verify the problem. A local parts store can scan your windstar to check for codes, or a scanner can be rented from a local parts store. Let me know what code you have so we can further analize the situation.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the check engine light is not on now because someone tould friend to un hock the battery so there is no check engine light on now i was going to take to be checked but he did that and now there no light on now

If there is a solenoid problem the light will be on, or a code will be in memory. You should still have the computer scanned even if no light. Record the code number and let me know. This will be an internal fault, and the code will help to verify what is wrong.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so there still can be a code even know the check engine light it not on
yes. If not there will not be an electrical or solenoid problem, if there was the check engine would be on immediatly if your problem is still there.
Are you still experiencing the transmission problems with the check engine light off?
If so this verifies the mechanical/ internal hydraulic problem in your transmission. If not, I may have been wrong, and am sorry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but the van drive fine intel it get up to 20 M/H

this will be an internal transmission problem. Especially if the check engine light is not on at this time. Takes a while for it to process when it comes to internal mechanical faults, but instant with electrical. Sorry this is the fault. Transmission removal and repair is required. No doubt about it. Not worth going out of your way to scan, if a scanner is not available on hand.

Edited by NicksSticks on 11/17/2010 at 6:02 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it only has 93000 miles on it i rally dont think it is a internal problem he was drive one day and it was driveing fine and he stop at a light and when to go and it would go 20 and them it would fall like it was in neutral and the rpm would go up but not the speed but when got back to 10 it would grab agin intel it got 20 agin
Early signs of an internal problem I am sorry. If still weary, scan for codes and let me know, will be here to help analize the code. Remember, I need the Number (such as p0753, p0702) not the definition, I have been diagnosing and rebuilding these transmissions even before I was able to drive. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if the rpm are a like 6-7 when it get to 10 it will kick in to 2nd gear pick up to 30 and do the samething because i know it shift 2nt after 20 3rd after 30 and that all i know and in reverse i will go like 40 50 i dont know for shore because it dont read speed in reverse and when i put it in 2 it will go up to 40-50 but i have almost floor it

Another point for being internal in the transmission.

If the fluid has absolutely no burn smell, recommend a line pressure check at idel and full load. (only a trans shop or dealer can accurately check line pressure). If good, the torque converter splines may not be holding the pump shaft under load, regardless the transmission must be removed and repaired.

Sorry but this is the last answer I can reply to.

Thank you so much for your question and I appreciate the accept given to me.