Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

1993 ford escort: Cutout..Switch Light came on and I stalled..Popped

I have a 1993 ford escort and the Fuel Cutout Switch Light came on and I stalled. I tried to reset the switch and The switch wasnt Popped. What could be the problem ? Fuel Pump or Faulty Reset switch ?

It could be the reset switch or the fuel pump relay or the fuel injection fuse....

Do you have a volt meter or test light to test with?

What size engine,,,,1.8 or 1.9

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do have a Volt meter and it's a 1.9

First check the 30 amp fuse shown below. If it's ok, then test for power at the dark blue wire going into the inertia switch (reset switch) make sure key is on when testing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The 30 amp fuse is ok. The Inertia Plug to inertia switch is Getting DC Voltage.

That pretty much narrows it down to a bad relay or wiring. Below are diagrams for the wiring and the relay.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the Relay is bad, Would it still be Getting fuel at the Intake lines. After a few cranks, I pressed the Valve and fuel squirts out !
Try and see it it will run if you spray starting fluid or carb spray in the air intake..if it does, it may have a weak fuel pump.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have neither at the moment and it's dark out and noone around. I have a friend who is mechanic and will help me tomorrow. I thank you so much for your help. Please respond before I pay.

If it starts with the spray, pretty much count on replacing the pump.

Best wishes!