Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

I blew the timing belt..mechanic says..bucks

Does a 1998 ZX2 have an interference motor? I blew the timing belt and the mechanic says it need a complete head job ... 1600 bucks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

The valves should be ok

Steve :

hi

Customer:

that's what I thought. So it is a non-interference motor? The mechanic where it is keeps insisting that the valves are damaged, but has only replaced the belt and the pulleys (which were completely worn) ..

Steve :

Could have the belt on wrong it is a very complicated procedure to alighn the belt with special tools

Steve :

If the special tools are not used the alignment will be off

Customer:

Yep, I've read through the proc. myself, that's why I didnt want to attempt it.

Customer:

so, it wouldn't start if it wa a bit off, correct?

Steve :

yes

Customer:

I hate to have to tow it to another shop, but that looks like what I may have to do. Any good Ford mechs. in San Jose, CA

Steve :

If it is not aligned correctly with the correct tools it will not start

Steve :

Sorry do not know calif I live in seattle

Steve :

I have done the same thing for countless small shops

Steve :

They will bring it to me and the belt is off

Customer:

Are there any other possiblilities ... or is this really easy to get wrong?

Steve :

Without the right tools I can guarantee you the belt is off

Customer:

You know what .... Ford said the same thing about the alignment tool, but the mechanic still insisted it was correct. I guess I'll have to tow it to another shop .... what a shame ....

Steve :

yes to bad should have checked with the shop first to make sure they knew hoe to do the job

Steve :

In the long run the dealer would have been a better choice

Customer:

they did ... he argues with me every time i talk to him, i just want to get my car out of there.

Customer:

dealer is $$$$ no?

Steve :

yes they are a little more expensive but thsy know what they are doing

Steve :

all that factory training and special tools they have to buy

Steve :

that is the reason they have to charge more

Customer:

When you do this type of job, do you simply charge for setting it up correctly? How much is it usually?

Customer:

They charged me $350 for parts (belt and 2 pulleys) and labor.

Customer:

already

Customer:

seems reasonable (if it actually fixes the car)

Steve :

That is pretty cheap I would say cost around 200 dollars to set up correctly at the dealer

Steve :

we would charge around 500 for everything

Customer:

maybe he felt bad.... =)

Customer:

going to pick it up this afternoon. hope to find someone who will be a fair deal .... thanks for your advice ... Accepted.

Steve :

your welcome and good luck

Customer:

Ty.

Steve, Ford Technician
Experience: 25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.