Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

1985 Ford F150: cyl..idles..accelerate..it stalls out and shakes

Customer Question

I have a 1985 Ford F150 300 inline 6 and it runs but when I put it into gear it dies and the motor shakes, the carb has been rebuilt, has new point, plugs rotar cap and checked the comprsion and compresion show 125 per cyl. also idles with a slight miss but when you accelerate it, it has a definate miss and when you put it into gear forward or reverse it stalls out and shakes badly and dies.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 6 years ago.

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, have you checked the ignition timing with a timing light? These older 300 engines are well known for jumping a few teeth on the timing gears when they get older. They usually strip the fiber camshaft gear out. Thansk

Customer:

Yes I have set the timing with a timing light. I can turn the distributor to the right and left and it works and I can set the timing but I still have a steady miss. Right now I am wondering if it could have anything to do with the vaccum because I can get everything set just right, put back together and it runs fine till I put it into gear.

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, I just noticed the question says that it has new points? Is this a 1985 or has the ignition system been changed? I have seen a weak ignition coil cause this before. Also how much did the distributor have to be turned to get the timing right?

Customer:

Sorry it has no points

Customer:

Someone please HELP ME I have no hair left .../??? I have no money left well just A little bit left ..

Dieseljunky2 :

How much did you have to turn the distributor to reset the timing? Was it more than 2 degrees off?

Dieseljunky2 :

Also, disconnect the vacuum line to the egr valve and see if it changes the missing.

Dieseljunky2 :

Let me know. Thanks

Customer:

Yes I did disconnect the vac. line .

Dieseljunky2 :

Did it make any difference in the way it runs? Have you checked the manifold vacuum with a gauge?

I cannot see anything after you stated that you disconnected the vacuum line. Did you type anything else?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no it did not do anything ,, when I PUT IT IN GEAR IT JUST DIES , SOMEONE HELP ME

Did you have to turn the distributor to get the timing correct? Are you using a timing light or are you just turning the distributor? Also, have you checked for any vacuum leaks with carb spray or a leak detector?