Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

2001 ford F150 has problems starting. Seems to happen when

2001 ford F150 has problems starting. Seems to happen when it turns cold. Any ideas??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

What have you checked or done or replaced so far?

What do you have to do to get it to start eventually? Is there alot of black smoke out of the exhaust when it does end up starting?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I Have had it checked at the dealership. I left it for several days and they say it starts everytime they check it. Starts great in the summer. but when the fall arrives it acts up. motor cranks but will not turn over. After bumping the starter several times and letting it sit for about a minute it will start. Happens approximately every 5 starts. When it does sratr there is no black smoke at the exhaust.

Thanks

Try this below the next time it acts up:

This sounds like a possible sticking IAC (idle Air Control). This mechanical/electrical solenoid controls air at idle for your vehicle. It is very prone to sticking.

To help prove that this might be your problem. The next time it doesn't start up right away or is trying to stall, place your foot on the gas pedal and just barely push down on the pedal and now try to start the vehicle. If it starts right away, this is most likely the concern, and the IAC will need to be replaced. Only with a Ford Dealer part. Try this procedure everytime it wants to act up. What you are doing by opening the gas pedal a little is allowing a small amount of air into the engine that is suppose to be done by the IAC. So you are bypassing the IAC.

Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Proceedure does not work, I just tried it. The engine just cranks.

Thanks

Ok, during the cranking mode, does the check engine light go off or stay on during the cranking mode only?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The check engine light goes off.

Thanks

Ok, sounds like from what you told me so far that more than likely we have a crank signal and there is plenty of air, now is there fuel getting to the engine.

Can you hear the fuel pump run in the tank when you turn the key to run? If you can't first tap on the fuel/relay box under the hood in case a relay is sticking. Next, hit the center of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet or similar while cranking over the engine. What you're doing is vibrating the electric fuel pump to get it to work in case it is sticking. If it now starts then replace the fuel pump and retest. I suggest Ford dealer fuel pumps. They last much longer than after markets.

Thanks

Experience: Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0