Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

Ford F150 Pickup Super Cab: I have a 97 ford F150 I cant shut

I have a 97 ford F150 I can't shut the windshield wipers off. When I rotate on/off speed control on the turn signal arm up the wiper speed increases. When i rotate it down it slows but doesn't stop. I took the arm apart and cleaned the contacts, lubed with diaelectric grease and put back together and no change. I checked the relays and fuse they are all okay as far as I can tell. Is it the wiper motor or something else?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-b7ilumhv-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem is usually caused by a defective GEM (Generic Electronic Module), which controls the wiper operation, below is a list of the possibilities, if you need test procedures let me know and I will send them to you.

• Wipers Stay On Continuously
  • Generic electronic module (GEM).
  • Multi-function switch (wiper/washer switch).
  • Circuit(s).
  • Windshield wiper run/park relay.
  • Windshield wiper motor.
  • Windshield wiper hi/lo relay

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is and where is the gem module. Is it expensive or not and is it easy to replace?
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Hi Customer.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The GEM Is mounted on the back side of the interior fuse panel under tha dash on the drivers side of the vehicle, I would recommend testing before replacing, if you need test procedures as well as replacement instructions let me know and I will send them.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There are a variety of different gem modules. Where is the one located for the wipers? Thanks Shawn I do need the test procedures as well as replacement instructions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Hi Customer.

Thank you for the reply, the test procedures are below, there is only one GEM module, which is mounted on the back side of the interior fuse panel.

WIPERS STAY ON CONTINUOUSLY
TEST CONDITIONSTEST DETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
B1 CHECK THE IGNITION STATES
Connect New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester
NOTE: If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission, depress the clutch pedal when turning the ignition switch to START.
    Monitor the PID IGN_GEM while turning the ignition switch through the START, RUN, OFF, and ACC positions.

• Do the PID values agree with the ignition switch positions?
YES GO to B2.
NO REPAIR the ignition circuit (RUN/ACC: circuit 297 [BK/LG], RUN: circuit 1040 [R/LB], START: circuit 32 [R/LB] or circuit 481 [GY/Y]) in question. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.
B2 RETRIEVE THE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCs)
Retrieve and Document Continuous DTCs
Clear Continuous DTCs
On-Demand Self-Test

• Are any DTCs retrieved?
YES If DTC B1431, GO to B6.

If DTC B1441, GO to B3.

If DTC B1453, GO to B3 .

If DTC B1342, REPLACE the GEM. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.
NO GO to B3 .
B3 CHECK THE WIPER SWITCH INPUTS
Monitor the PID WPMODE while turning the wiper switch through all switch positions.

• Does the WPMODE PID value agree with all the wiper switch positions?
YES GO to B6.
NO GO to B4.
B4 CHECK THE WIPER/WASHER SWITCH
Disconnect Multi-Function Switch C259
Check the multi-function switch for proper operation;

• Is the multi-function switch OK?
YES GO to B5 .
NO REPLACE the multi-function switch. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.
B5 CHECK CIRCUITS 680 (LB/O) AND 684 (PK/Y) FOR SHORT(S) TO GROUND
Disconnect GEM C239
graphic
Measure the resistance between multi-function switch C259-6, circuit 680 (LB/O), and ground.

Measure the resistance between multi-function switch C259-1, circuit 684 (PK/Y), and ground.

• Are the resistances greater than 10,000 ohms?
YES REPLACE the GEM. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.
NO REPAIR circuit 680 (LB/O) and/or circuit 684 (PK/Y). CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.
B6 CHECK THE WINDSHIELD WIPER RUN/PARK RELAY COIL CIRCUIT
Monitor the PID WPRUN while toggling active command mode WIPER RLY.

• Does the WPRUN PID agree with the command mode?
YES If the WRPRUN PID displays ON--- and OFF---, GO to B9 .
NO IF the WPRUN PID displays OFF O-G, GO to B7 .
B7 CHECK THE WINDSHIELD WIPER RUN/PARK RELAY
Windshield Wiper Run/Park Relay
Perform the Relay Component Test refer to the procedure in this section.

• Is the windshield wiper run/park relay OK?
YES GO to B8.
NO REPLACE the windshield wiper run/park relay. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.
B8 CHECK CIRCUIT 646 (Y/W) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
Disconnect GEM C239
graphicMeasure the resistance between windshield wiper run/park relay connector pin 2, circuit 646 (Y/W), and ground.

• Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
NO REPAIR circuit 646 (Y/W). CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.
B9 CHECK THE WINDSHIELD WIPER RUN/PARK RELAY SWITCH CIRCUIT
Disconnect Windshield Wiper Run/Park Relay

• Do the wipers stop operating?
YES GO to B11 .
NO RECONNECT the relay. GO to B10 .
B10 CHECK CIRCUITS 56 (DB/O) AND 58 (W) FOR A SHORT TO POWER
Disconnect Windshield Wiper Motor C165
Disconnect Windshield Wiper Hi/Lo Relay
graphic
Measure the voltage between windshield wiper hi/lo relay connector pin 5, circuit 56 (DB/O), pin 4, circuit 58 (W), and ground.

• Are any of the voltages greater than 10 volts?
YES REPAIR circuit 56 (DB/O) and/or circuit 58 (W). CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.
NO REPLACE the windshield wiper motor. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.
B11 CHECK THE WINDSHIELD WIPER RUN/PARK RELAY
Place the wiper/washer switch in the park position.
graphicMeasure the voltage between windshield wiper run/park relay connector pin 4, circuit 671 (LB) and ground.

• Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
YES GO to B12 .
B12 CHECK CIRCUIT 671 (BK) FOR SHORT TO POWER
Disconnect Windshield Wiper Motor C165
graphic
Measure the voltage between windshield wiper run/park relay connector pin 4, circuit 671 (LB) and ground.

• Is any voltage indicated?
YES REPAIR circuit 671 (LB). CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Below are the GEM replacement instructions (just click on the link below).

CLICK HERE FOR GEM REPLACEMENT INSTRUCTIONS

graphic

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas