Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

1998 taurus: wont shift..park into gear....how hard is that to fix

my 1998 taurus won't shift from park into gear....how hard is that to fix?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The other Experts and I are working on your answer.

By the way, it would help us to know:

-Is the vehicle shifter stuck in the Park position?

-Do all three brake lights work properly?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The shifter is stuck in the park position. It is on the steering column, not floor. the brake lights all work. If i wait for the car to warm up (just like with the turn signals) it suddenly will work properly.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective shift interlock, preventing the vehicle from shifting out of the Park posistion, if you need I can send test procedures as well as replacement instructions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sounds about right. How do I test if that is the actual problem? , what part do I need, how hard is it to replace?
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks

.

SHIFT INTERLOCK SYSTEM DOES NOT RELEASE OR LOCK PROPERLY

A1 CHECK ELECTRON IGN FUSE

• Check Fuse 5 (5A) located in fuse junction panel.

Is fuse OK?

Yes No
GO to A3. GO to A2 .

A2 CHECK FOR SHORT TO GROUND

• Turn ignition switch OFF.
  • Remove Fuse 5 (5A).
  • Disconnect shift-lock actuator connector C203 located to the right of steering column.
  • Measure resistance of the Circuit 1003 (GY/Y) between the correct terminal of Fuse 5 (5A) and ground.

Is resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes No
REPLACE Fuse 5 (5A). GO to A3. SERVICE Circuit 1003 (GY/Y) wire between fuse junction panel and shift-lock actuator.

A3 CHECK POWER SUPPLY FROM FUSE 5 (5A)

• Reinstall Fuse 5 (5A).
  • Turn ignition switch to RUN.
  • Measure voltage on Circuit 1003 (GY/Y) wire and ground.

Is voltage greater than 10 volts?

Yes No
GO to A4. SERVICE Circuit 1003 (GY/Y) wire between interior fuse panel and shift-lock actuator.

A4 CHECK POWER SUPPLY FROM FUSE 28 (15A)

• Turn ignition switch OFF.
  • Disconnect connector C2016.
  • Turn ignition switch ON.
  • Measure voltage on Circuit 10 (LG/R) and ground.

Is voltage B+?

Yes No
GO to A5. SERVICE Circuit 10 (LG/R) for open. RESTORE vehicle and TEST system for normal operation.

A5 CHECK WIRE BETWEEN STOPLIGHT SWITCH AND SHIFT-LOCK ACTUATOR

• Turn ignition switch OFF.
  • Disconnect shift-lock actuator connector C203.
  • Apply brake pedal.
  • Measure voltage on Circuit 810 (R/LG) wire and ground.

Is voltage greater than 10 volts with brake pedal applied and less than 1 volt with brake pedal released?

Yes No
GO to A6. SERVICE Circuit 810 (R/LG) wire between stoplight switch and shift-lock actuator.

A6 CHECK SHIFT-LOCK ACTUATOR GROUND

• Measure resistance of Circuit 57 (BK) and ground.

Is resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes No
REPLACE shift-lock actuator. SERVICE BK wire.

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for the ACCEPT!

Below are the replacement instructions, the part is only available from the dealer.

Ignition/Shifter Interlock Actuator--Column Shift

Removal

1. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301). Remove three screws and upper steering column shroud (3530).

2. Insert a scratch awl into the access hole located in the bottom of the lower steering column shroud . Push in on the ignition lock cylinder release pin, rotate the ignition lock cylinder (3675) clockwise to the RUN position and remove the ignition lock cylinder from the steering column.

3. Remove the lower steering column shroud.

4. Remove two screws and knee bolster from instrument panel (04320).

5. CAUTION: Before lowering steering column assembly, completely loosen the shift indicator adjustment mechanism and disconnect the shift indicator cable and adjustment mechanism from the steering column lever to avoid damaging the shift indicator assembly.

6. Rotate the shift indicator adjustment wheel clockwise until enough slack exists to disconnect the shift indicator cable from the steering column lever. After the shift indicator cable is disconnected, continue to rotate the shift indicator adjustment wheel clockwise until the shift indicator cable can be pulled through the adjustment wheel and the adjustment mechanism can fall away from the steering column tube (3514) .

7. Remove two nuts and steering column absorber (3E644).

8. Remove two nuts and lower steering column assembly.

9. Disconnect ignition/shifter interlock actuator electrical connector.

10. Remove three Torx® head screws and ignition/shifter interlock actuator and bracket from steering column tube .

11. Remove circlip and separate actuator from bracket.

Installation

1. Position actuator onto bracket and install circlip.

2. Install ignition/shifter interlock actuator onto steering column tube and secure with three Torx® head screws. Tighten screws to 2.0 Nm (17 lb-in).

3. Connect electrical connector to interlock actuator.

4. Raise steering column assembly into position and secure with two nuts. Tighten nuts to 13-17 Nm (10-12 lb-ft).

5. Install steering column absorber and secure with two nuts. Tighten nuts to 13-17 Nm (10-12 lb-ft).

6. Thread the shift indicator cable through the shift indicator adjustment wheel and connect the shift indicator cable to the steering column lever. Rotate the shift indicator adjustment wheel counterclockwise onto the shift indicator adjustment mechanism and install into position. Adjust shift indicator as necessary.

7. Install knee bolster to instrument panel and secure with two screws.

8. Place lower steering column shroud into position and insert ignition lock cylinder into steering column tube .

9. Install upper steering column shroud and secure with three screws.

10. Connect battery ground cable.

11. Check for proper ignition/shifter interlock operation. The ignition key should be removable only with the transaxle range selector lever in PARK. The transaxle range selector lever should be locked in the PARK position with the key removed.