Marty
Marty, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Certified. 20 years experience. Certified training in: driveability, electronics, etc.

ford Ranger 4x4 how to change the front bearing and tool do

how to change the front bearing and tool do need to do it
Category: Ford
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

Marty :

Full Size Image
Allow me to help in diagnosing your vehicle! If I helped make sure to hit ACCEPT button so as I can get credited. Here is the service procedure.

Disassembly

1. Raise the vehicle and install Rotunda Car/Truck Stands 077-00018 or equivalent.

1. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

1. Remove the retainer washers and remove the manual or automatic locking hub assembly. Refer to Manual Locking or Automatic Locking Hubs under Front Wheel Bearing Adjustment in this section for removal.

1. Remove the disc brake caliper (2B120) as described in Section 06-03.

1. Remove the hub and rotor. Remove the outer wheel bearing cone.

1. Remove the wheel hub grease seal (1190) from the rotor with Seal Remover TOOL-1175-AC or equivalent and Impact Slide Hammer T50T-100-A. Discard wheel hub grease seal and replace upon assembly.

1. Remove excluder seal.

1. Remove the inner wheel bearing.

1. NOTE: If new wheel bearing cups are installed, install new cone and roller assemblies.

Inspect the wheel bearing cups for pits or cracks. If necessary, remove them with Internal Puller D80L-943-A or equivalent and Impact Slide Hammer T50T-100-A.

Assembly

1. Lubricate the wheel bearings with High Temperature Constant Velocity Grease E43Z-19590-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESP-M1C207-A. Clean all grease from the hub. Pack the cones and rollers. If a bearing packer is not available, work as much lubricant as possible between the rollers and the cages.

1. If wheel bearing cups are to be installed, position wheel bearing cups in rotor and drive in place with Bearing Cup Replacer T80T-4000-P and Driver Handle T80T-4000-W.

1. Position excluder seal on spindle and drive into position using Spindle Seal Replacer T95T-3132-D.

1. Position the inner wheel bearing in the inner wheel bearing cup in the rotor. Install the wheel hub grease seal by driving in place with Seal Replacer T80T-4000-T and Driver Handle T80T-4000-W.

1. Carefully install the rotor onto the front wheel spindle (3105). Refer to Section 06-03.

1. Install outer wheel bearing into rotor.

1. Refer to Manual Locking or Automatic Locking Hubs under Front Wheel Bearing Adjustment in this section for remainder of installation.

Marty :

Here is the bearing adjustment procedure

1. Raise the vehicle and install safety stands.

2. Remove the lug nuts and the wheel and tire assembly. Refer to Section 04-04.

3. Remove the retainer washers from the wheel hub bolt nut studs. Remove the automatic locking hub assembly from the front wheel spindle.

Automatic Locking Hub, Exploded View, Ranger

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]333.3333333333333[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

ItemPart NumberDescription
    13105Front Wheel Spindle
    21175BWheel Hub Grease Seal
    34222Wheel Bearing Cup
    41102Rotor
    53N105Wheel Bearing Adjusting Nut
    63N105Thrust Spacers
    73B477Front Axle Wheel Hub Retainer
    83B458Axle Shaft Spacer
    93B396Hub
    101A107Retaining Washer
    113B548Axle Shaft Spacers
    123B549Single Hump Locking Key
    134221Wheel Bearing (Outer)
    144221Wheel Bearing (Inner)
    151175AExcluder Seal

4. Remove the snap ring from the end of the shaft of the front wheel spindle.

5. Remove the axle shaft spacer.

6. Pull cam assembly off the wheel bearing adjusting nut and remove the two metal thrust spacers from the adjusting nut.

7. NOTE: If required, rotate the adjusting nut slightly to relieve pressure against the locking key, before the key can be removed.

Using a magnet, remove the locking key.

8. Loosen the wheel bearing adjusting nut from the front wheel spindle using a Hex Locknut Wrench T70T-4252-B.

9. While rotating the hub and rotor assembly, tighten the wheel bearing adjusting nut to 47 Nm (35 lb-ft) to seat the wheel bearings. Spin the rotor and back off the nut one-quarter turn (90 degrees).

10. Retighten the adjusting nut to 1.8 Nm (16 lb-in) using a torque wrench.

11. Make sure the final end play of the wheel on the front wheel spindle is 0.00-0.08mm (0.000-0.003 inch). The maximum torque to rotate the hub is 2.8 Nm (25 lb-in).

12. Align the closest lug in the wheel bearing adjustment nut with the center of the keyway slot of the front wheel spindle. Advance the nut to the next lug if required. Install the separate locking key in the keyway of the front wheel spindle under the adjusting n

13. Install the two thrust spacers and push or press the cam assembly onto the locknut by lining up the key in the fixed cam with the keyway of the front wheel spindle.

14. Install the axle shaft spacer.

15. Clip the snap ring onto the end of the shaft of the front wheel spindle.

16. Install the automatic locking hub assembly over the front wheel spindle. Align three hub assembly legs with three pockets in cam assembly. Install the retainer washers.

17. Install the wheel and tire assembly. Install and tighten lug nuts to 135 Nm (100 lb-ft).

Customer:

i still need a tool to remove the rotor like a big socket wrench

Marty :

That is correct, here is the picture with the part # XXXXX the socket,

Marty :

Sorry didn't go through Part # XXXXX for socket

Marty :

If I helped do not forget to hit ACCEPT so as I can get credited for my time.

Marty, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Certified. 20 years experience. Certified training in: driveability, electronics, etc.