Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

2000 Ford F150: My ABS and Check engine light..happened suddenly

I have a 2000 Ford F150. My ABS and Check engine light recently came on and now there is "something" that continues to run, even when I shut off the engine. It happened suddenly. I do have a cold air intake. Could that have went haywire? or maybe a sensor? It doesnt overheat but it almost does soundlike a fan or something,possibly do do with the fuel line...or???    baffeled

ok, this is going to be the abs control module. It has internal relays that will stick open causing it to run constantly, even with ignition switch off. the relays are not servicable and require the control module to be replaced.

you can confirm this very easily. In the engine compartment fuse/relay box, remove fuse #102(as shown below)-the abs fuse. if you no longer hear the noise with ignition off, you have confirmed it.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
any idea of a general area of price to replace this? I just dont want to walk blind into a repair shop. I willcheck that fuse to make sure.

Labor is only 1 hr to replace it, but the part will run from $350 for a remanufactured unit to $650 for a new factory unit. I have used reman units from both Carquest and Napa with great results, so I would go that route
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ugh They ended up charging me through the nose. Even though I told them what was wrong. (because I did take the fuse out) They said to make sure they had to do a diagnostic charge (220.00) and tried to "flash" it 3 times. did not work. ended up being $1,600 sucks but thanks foryour help I would love to be able to purchase answers from you again