Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2005 Explorer: left bank-driver side..leaking..intake..cylinder head

Customer Question

2005 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
No compression on left bank-driver side.
I've done air shop test. Found to be leaking trough intake and exhaust valves but not into crank case. I've removed the cylinder head, replace valve springs, put it back together and still no compression. Can you help me with this problem.
Thank you for your help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Did you still need help?

Are you saying that all of the cylinders on the left bank have no compression at all? not even 20 or 30 psi?

How did you line up the timing marks?

Did you need a diagram?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I still need help.

No compression at all!

The timing marks were lined up with the proper tools and equipment as shown on ALLDATA repair.

Please send a diagram if you think it will help us.

Thank you for your time.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Well, I have alldata too. I think it would be the same procedure that you have so I do not think it would do any good to send it over... unless of course you want me to... I will do so.

Let me ask you this...Can I get your VIN?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Right, that's fine no need to send it than.

Here's the VIN

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. where are the valves on number 4 cylinder when it is at top dead center?

Are both valves closed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Timming tools were install with cylinder head on the bench. All valves were closed. Right side bank was timed, I remember #4 and #6 piston being down and #5 was all the way up.

To answer your question 100% I would have to remove the valve cover on the left side.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
You could do that... or just put the piston to tdc and do a cylinder leak down test and see where the air is leaking out... if any.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just did the leak down test.

Found to be leaking trough intake.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Was this on number 4 cylinder??

Was the piston at dtc when you did this test?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, on left side front.

The piston was at dtc when I did the test!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
When you did this test on all of the cylinders on the left side, did it leak air out of the intake valve on all of the cylinders on the left side?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't remember on the initial test that we did if it was leaking on all intake valves, but I do remember all exhaust valves were leaking.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. well, if the result are the same on each of the cylinders, then chances are your valve timing is just off. With each cylinder at tdc, both valves (intake and exhaust valve) should be completely closed tight... hands down. If not, then either the valves are bent broken valves springs, or the valve timing is off. I guarantee it!

That is what I ask if the results are the same on all of the cylinders. If the results are the same, then chances are it is not going to be bent valves or broken valves springs holding the vales open.... the only thing left... would be incorrect valve timing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm going to, once again, remove the valve cover to double check timming.

I'm going to check tdc position and verify if all valves are closed.

Thank you for your help

I'll get back to you

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Sounds good!

I will be off line for a few hours but will be back on line later today.

If you have any further questions, feel free to respond back and I will get back to you asap.