Brian
Brian, Ford Shop Foreman
Experience:  Ford Senior Master certified Tech, 34 years Ford technician.

2001 Ford F150: grinding noise..rear end..a bearing..low speed

Customer Question

2001 Ford F150 SuperCrew-has grinding noise in rear end, sounds like a bearing is going bad. Only makes noise at low speed and when turning, mostly to the right. Can you tell me what might be causing this and how I might fix it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.

Brian :

Do you have a limited slip (posi) rear differential in your truck ?

Customer:

it is two wheel drive so I am assuming that it is.

Customer:

sry, limited slip

Brian :

If you have a posi rear , this is most likely caused by the clutches in the differential, they will grab and "chatter" on slow speed turns when they are worn. A bearing will cause more of a growling noise and will increase with speed, it will be much louder at higher speeds than lower speeds. You may want to try to add a friction modifier to the fluid to see if this helps first, it might help, if not you will need to replace the clutches, and use the friction modifier when refilling.

Customer:

I have looked at several sites to find people with similar problem. one suggestion was to replace clutch pack. The other was to try the friction modifier as you suggest.

Customer:

can the friction modifier be purchased at auto parts stores?

Customer:

did I mention that it doesn't make that noise when traveling in straight line?

Brian :

Replacing the clutches is a pretty big job and may be the needed repair, but adding the friction modifier is well worth trying first, it may take a few miles with some figure 8 driving to work the friction modifier into the clutches.

Customer:

I'll try that. Thanks. I f I have to replace clutches, is that something that the backyard mechanic could do?

Brian :

Yes, this is do-able, you need to remove the axles to remove the carrier and ring gear assembly, just keep your bearing, shims and bearing caps on their correct side, (right and left) if you mix up the caps or shims you will have problems. Other than that, there is no measuring or setup involved. The clutches need to be stacked just like they come on, one friction plate than one steel plate and so on.

Customer:

The truck has 106,000 mi. on it, do you think the bearings should be replaced also?

Brian :

It would probably be a good idea since your that far into it.

Customer:

ok. Thanks for your help Brian.

Brian :

Your welcome.

Customer:

the accept button doesn't seem to be working. I've pressed it several times but nothing happens.

Brian :

I will send this response and see if you can accept on this response.

Customer:

I did a save and exit and then clicked on accept but it sends me back to this chat screen. does it show that you were paid on your end?

Brian :

No, not yet.

Customer:

I keep trying but nothing is happening here.........

Brian :

Try coming back to the post tomorrow and see if it works than,

Customer:

ok, will do.

Brian :

Thanks,

Brian, Ford Shop Foreman
Experience: Ford Senior Master certified Tech, 34 years Ford technician.
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.

I'll let you know tomorrow if it sends,

Thanks again, Brian.

Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.

The payment came through,

Thanks, Brian.