Marty
Marty, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Certified. 20 years experience. Certified training in: driveability, electronics, etc.
50706092

2002 ford windstar: abs light..second gear I..OD..warning

I keep blowing the #10 15amp fuse on my 2002 ford windstar. I get a brake and abs light indication light first, then after I get into about second gear I get a OD OFF light and check transmission warning. I also lose the ability to change from A/C to Heat. I think it might be the ABS module going bad

Marty :

Allow me to help in diagnosing your vehicle! If I helped make sure to hit ACCEPT button so as I can get credited. Fairly common problem. The short may be coming from the cruise control module and or connector. There is a recal for the cruise deactivation switch that causes this ,brake fluid shorts out the harnes causing the short in the Cruise connector. Your vehicle should be covered under this recal 09S09

Customer:

where is the cruise control module or connector, is this at the bottom of the master cylinder? there is also a connector on the side of the master cylinder.

Customer:

I have tried disconnecting the Abs module wire harness, the connector at the bottom of the master cylinder but i still blow the #10 fuse. I am aware of the "leaking brake fluid issue" I see NO evidence of brake fluid leaks on the harness. The vehicle has not been in to Ford yet for this recall or the rear axle. I really want to fix this issue,

Marty :

The cruise control module is under air cleaner box. Disconnect and inspect the connector for heat damage. Leave it disconnected and try another fuse. Let me know how it works out.

Marty :

Do not forget to hit ACCEPT so as I can get credited for my time.

Customer:

marty, I will accept when I figure this out with you. I am an honorable man, however unfortunatly for me my local Ford dealer is not. Bear with me i am mechanically inclined, however cars are not my thing. Please explain what this connector looks like?, is it approx 2"x2" square?if not please give me a little detail. What is the two wire connector connected to the master cylinder? I am getting a little excited as I feel you might be on to something. Thanks looking forward to your answer.

Marty :

Ok the connector on the cruise module is 1/2 " by 3" . If you follow one of the cables off the throttle one of them will go to this module, the other will go inside the car to the gas pedal

Full Size Image
. Here is a picture

Customer:

Martygreat i will try it tonight when I get home, and I will get back to you in the morning.

Customer:

Dear marty

Customer:

Dear marty I may have to refer to you as the wizard if you are correct!

Marty :

If you must!

If you need more help, ask! If this answer helped you, click ACCEPT! If you have a deposit but do not click ACCEPT you WILL STILL BE CHARGED, but I don't get credit! NOT CLICKING ACCEPT HURTS THE TECHS THAT HELP YOU!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear Marty

I located the cruise control module and disconnected as you suggested, I still blew the fuse. I noticed that the harness to the CCM has another connection to the master cylinder, should I have disconnected that as well. Please advise or offer another possible explaination and course of action. What about a faulty wheel speed sensor, could that cause the #10 fuse to blow?

Was there any melting of connector pin area?
This circuit is big, I gave you the most common areas of concern. The circuit has to be broken down now into smaller circuits to isolate the short. At this point I would recommend a certified technician perform this. The circuit schematics are not easy to read and decipher.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No melting of connector, what about checking each wire with a meter to see if they are grounded?