A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Ford Explorer How do you remove the crankshaft pulley from

Customer Question

How do you remove the crankshaft pulley from a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L not ff. We run a garage and we work on Fords often and we have AllData and its says to just remove the bolt. We got the bolt out, but could not get the pulley to come off.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, although dealer special tools are noted, you do not need these specific ones. A regular puller will work and you just may have to modify it a little. The pulley being pressed on does require a puller. To put back on can be done by wiggling it back on a little, then tapping the center to drive on a little more , then insert bolt to at least get a few turns then slowly tighten bolt to pull pulley back on.

rankshaft Pulley and Crankshaft Seal

Part 1 Of 2

Part 2 Of 2

Special Tool(s)

Removal and Installation
  1. Remove the fan shroud.
  2. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  3. Remove the components in the order indicated.

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Item 1: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt Removal Note

1. CAUTION: This bolt is torque-to-yield and cannot be reused.

Using the special tool, remove and discard the damper bolt.

Item 3: Crankshaft Pulley Removal Note

1. Using the special tool, remove the crankshaft pulley.

Item 5: Front Crankshaft Seal Removal Note

1. Using the special tool, remove the crankshaft front seal.

Item 5: Front Crankshaft Seal Installation Note

1. Using the special tool, install the crankshaft front seal.

Item 3: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Note

1. Using the special tool, install the crankshaft pulley

Item 1: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt Installation Note

1. Using the special tool, tighten the bolt in two stages:
1 Stage 1: Tighten the bolt to 45 Nm (33 ft. lbs.) .
2 Stage 2: Tighten the bolt and additional 85 degrees.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have done all this. Used a modified puller and we cannot get it to come off. Where the 4 holes are on the pulley - two of them have bolt holes in the back and one of those do not line up, so you cant actually put a bolt in the puller?????
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I am not following. There are 4 holes in face of pulley. You say 2 have threads? unsure what you mean after that. LMK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes 2 have threads and one of the ones with threads does not line up so the pulley doesn't work. We tried everything to get it off and it is so tight.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I am at a loss. I will opt out and let another expert jump in and help. Sorry I could not. Another expert should help shortly
Expert:  A. Penland replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

To remove the pulley, you will need a puller that will line up with the 2 holes with the threaded holes. Install the bolt for the crankshaft pulley just a couple of threads into the crankshaft and then install the puller into the 2 threaded holes and push off the crankshaft bolt. It will be tight. Then when you reach the end of the bolt. remove the puller and the bolt, then gently pry the pulley off. One side and then the other side. It will wiggle loose.