Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

how do i install a oil pump for a ford ranger 1990 2.3l engine

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, is yours a 4x4 or 2 wd?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no two wheel
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I wish I had better news but doing the oil pump and pickup tube in thei vehicle and engine requires that the engine is removed.No way to do from under neath. I put the repair info below for reference but cant send engine ifo as files are too large. Yes, you most likely have a blocked oil pickup screen or bad pump. In either case, the procedure is the same and engine must come out

Fig. 21 Oil Pump Replacement

1. Remove oil pan as described in this section.
  2. Remove oil pump and pickup tube assembly attaching bolts.
  3. Remove oil pump and pickup tube assembly from vehicle, Fig. 21.
  4. Reverse procedure to install, tightening oil pump and pick up tube attaching bolts to specifications.
REMOVAL

NOTE: The engine assembly must be removed before removing the oil pan. Use the following procedure for engine oil pan removal.

1. Drain the engine oil.
  2. Remove the engine assembly.
  3. Mount the engine on a suitable engine stand with the oil pan still attached to the engine block.

CAUTION: Do not rotate the engine upside down with the oil pan attached. Sludge and debris in the oil pan will fall into cylinders, pistons and connecting rods, possibly causing rapid wear. Sludge may also plug the engine oil pickup screen.

1. Remove the oil pan retaining bolts and remove the oil pan.
  2. Rotate the engine stand with the oil pan to engine mating surfaces facing up.

Oil Pan And Gasket Assembly

1. Remove the oil pan gasket and thoroughly clean the engine block and oil pan gasket surfaces.

INSTALLATION

1. Install the low oil level sensor assembly and washer. Tighten to 27-41 Nm (20-30 ft lb) .
  2. Wipe oil pan rails with solvent (F2ZZ-19579-AA) soaked cloth to remove oil.

Oil Pan Sealer Installation

1. Apply silicone rubber (F1AZ-19562-A) (ESE-M4G195-A), or equivalent, in six places, at joints between the engine front cover and the cylinder block, rear main bearing cap and the engine block as shown.
  2. Install a new oil pan gasket (F3ZZ-6710-A) to the oil pan. Position the oil pan to the engine so the transmission mounting face of the oil pan is aligned with and square to the engine block rear face.

NOTE: Do not allow the sealer to age more than two (2) minutes prior to oil pan installation or total five (5) minutes before bolts are tightened to specification.

1. Install and tighten the oil pan retaining bolts to 13.5-16.5 Nm (120-146 in lb) .

NOTE: The transmission bolts to the engine and the oil pan when installed, so it is important to install spacers if they were included with the engine assembly. Not all engines require spacers. If spacers are to be selected, it is important to measure the gap between the surface of the rear face of the oil pan at the spacer locations and the rear face of the engine block. Refer to the following procedure for checking this dimension.

Mounting Pad Measurement

1. With the oil pan installed on the engine, position a straight edge flat on the rear of the engine block so that it extends over one of the oil pan transmission bolt mounting pads.

Spacer Selection Chart

1. Using a feeler gauge, measure the gap between the mounting pad and the straight edge. Repeat the procedure for the other mounting pad. Select spacers of the required thickness from the Spacer Selection Chart.

CAUTION: Failure to measure the required spacer thickness can result in insufficient or excessive clearance between the engine oil pan and the transmission, when installed in the vehicle. This can result in oil pan damage and/or an oil pan leak.

1. Install the selected spacers to the mounting pads of the rear of the oil pan before bolting the engine and transmission together.
  2. Tighten the oil pan transmission bolts to 40-54 Nm (30-39 ft lb) .
  3. Reinstall the engine assembly.
  4. Install a new oil filter and add new oil.
  5. Start the engine and check for leaks.

Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience: 35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
another mech. on this site said i didnt have to remove engine to install oil pump.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
The repair information that is in the online database my end used by most shops states to remove the engine to remove the pan. the other tech was usuing repair info from another data base. he did mention a 9 hour job but.. I am unsure where his repair info came from. If you feel you can follow that info, then give it a try. I am still saying I remember having to pull the engine or with a lot of work, the whole engine and trans has to be lifted and in order ot do so, many things need to be unhooked/removed.