Marty
Marty, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Certified. 20 years experience. Certified training in: driveability, electronics, etc.
50706092

My headlight and dash lights dim and flicker..awhile..alternator

My headlight and dash lights dim and flicker. usually occurs in the morning or when vehicle has set for awhile. recently had new battery and alternator put in. help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Marty replied 6 years ago.

Marty :

Allow me to help in diagnosing your vehicle! If I helped make sure to hit the accept button so I can get credited. If the lights dim up and down when you rev the engine up and down, you will have to have the charging system rechecked. The regulators a common in the alternators for this. Some remanufactured alternators use poor quality china regulators. Make sure battery conections are tight and clean. Try this, it sounds like you may have a bad alternator.

Customer:

If i have a bad alternator wouldn't i have problems starting the car. wouldn't the battery drain?

Customer:

The headlights, radio, and clocks light will flicker even when rpms are up.

Marty :

No the alternator is probably charging sufficient but the voltage may be fluctuating 1-2 volts causing the dimming. Do you have a voltmeter? ck voltage should be 14-15 volts

Marty :

Do you have Daytime running lights?

Customer:

no daytime running lights. I do not have a voltmeter. can autozone or some one like that check it?

Marty :

Yes they can.

Customer:

ok. thanks. i guess i will take that route and see if it solves the problem.