Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

1998 ford Escort zx2: gauge..Already replaced thermostat.

1998 ford Escort zx2 temerture gauge varys constantly and not much heat output. Already replaced thermostat.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The problem you are describing is most likely caused by trapped air in the cooling system and this will cause the guage to vary as well as very low to know heat from the heater, you need to start with bleeding the cooling system .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Ron,

Can you give me any pointers on bleeding the system? I was going to drain the system and try to flush the heater core thinking that was blocked due to the fact only one hose of the core is hot to the touch.

If you do not have a bleed funnel, try jacking the car up so the radiator is higher than the motor and then remove the cap and start the engine and as the thermostat opens up, the trapped air will be forced to rise and escape and as this happens, you can top the coolant off as needed, once the system is full reinstall the cap and road test. You should be fine if you got all the air.