chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience

Ford F150 Pickup My extended cab door of my F150 will not

Customer Question

My extended cab door of my F150 will not open. Is there any way to get them open. I've checked and I don't seem to see anything wrong with them. Can you help me
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

Try this ,,, look near the door handle for the rear door and there is a little shark fin black plastic piece sticking out ,,, as you close the r/f door it will push this shark fin in ,, when the r/f door is open ,,the shark fin comes out ,,, so grab the shark fin and pull it out with one hand and then use the door handle to open the door ,,, pull hard on the shark fin, give it a few tries and the door should open ,,,

once its open ,, you should replace what is called the remote control latch assembly, inside the door , its what all the latch rods secure to , in the center of the door, also comes with the lower door latch too .. then the door will work fine ,, but you have to get the door open to replace this ,,, if you need any help on how to access this part , take door panels off,,,etc ,, just ask , we can go back and forth on this page

Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

if you need any more info , just ask , if not please hit the accept button

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I try pulling out the fin and is not working I'm having trouble with both doors it happen at the same time, the fin seen to be working normal
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Sometimes it takes some time to mess with it and you have to try it over and over , pull out on that fin hard and at the same time use the door handle over and over, this is easiest way I have found to get these doors open when they are stuck closed