Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford Escape 2001 Ford Escape (V6) will not start. Replaced

Customer Question

2001 Ford Escape (V6) will not start. Replaced battery myself, still doesn't turn over. All lights come on, doesn't seem to be the alternator but not sure. No warning lights are on, except the airbag light that has been on for months. Thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

If the battery is new fully charged then you are correct, its not likely the alternator. Let start with checking the 2 fuse for this circuit. They are the F1-19 in the under hood fuse panel and the F2-11 in the interior fuse panel. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ron,

In regard to my Escape that won't start, I attempted your recommendations over the weekend. The fuel pump fuse (F2-11) is good and doesn't need to be replaced. I wasn't able to locate F1-19 under the hood by that reference number. I assumed you were referring to the fuel pump relay, so I went to the Ford parts department and bought a new one. I replaced the old one, and nothing happened. I'm assuming my fuel pump is bad but would like to know if there are any other simple steps I should take before getting it to a shop. Do I need to reset the fuel pump reset, which is in the passenger side kick panel?

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Can you hear the fuel pump cycle on when you turn the key on?

Did you get the engine to crank over?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The Fuse I wanted checked would keep it from cranking if blown.

The F1-19 is in the under hood fuse panel>>>

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, the engine will not "crank". It sputters like it's trying to, then goes dead. I'm not sure what what the pump cycling on should sound like. I don't notice anything cycling but I'll take a listen this evening. What should it sound like?

In regard to your diagram, I used the under the hood panel. I just didn't see a fuse marked F1-19. I take it's not the relay, but an actual fuse?

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Ok, it cranks but dosnt start. Forget the fuses, the pump will hum when you trun the key on and then it stops till you crank the key . we need to see if the pump is coming on.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. Will check this evening. Thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
You welcome, let me know and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When I turn the key to "on", it does hum for a few seconds.

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
If the pump is humming, then its likely has fue pressure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Does that mean the pump is OK? What next?

By the way, I've tried to "Accept" your last two answers with payment, but I'm getting an error when it processes. I'm straightening it out, you'll be paid for the additional help.

Thanks.

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
So lets refresh, the engine does spin over but dost fire up, correct and you are hearing the fuel pump , correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Correct. I hear the hum upon turning the key to on, then when I try to fire it all the way up, it goes dead.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
This is where I am not understanding you, when you say it goes dead , do you mean its will not spin the engine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I think we're on the same page. For just a second when I turn the ignition, it sounds like it's starting normally. Then it fails to fire up. I'm not sure what you mean by spin the engine though.

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The spin is the engine cranking over as the starter spins it, is it cranking?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, sorry.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Ok, if its cranking over then we need to start with making sure you have the correct fuel pressure as well as good spark and injector pulse. Install a fuel pressure guage to the fuel rail test port and see if you have 55 to 60 PSI, you also can pull a spark plug wire off and hold it close to the engine and have a helper crank it over to see if you have a nice blue spark.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I will try this and get back to you. Thanks.

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Your very welcome, Thank you as well.