Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

1994 Ford Ranger: cylinder..4.0 liter..extended cab..electrical issues

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Ford Ranger; 6 cylinder; 4.0 liter; step side/splash body; extended cab. It started having electrical issues when a psycho acquaintance decided to try to rip out electrical wiring. After that when driving on freeway at 65 mh engine would cease to run. That went on for a while... now it will not start at all. Battery is new and fully charged.
Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  protek480 replied 6 years ago.

Craig :

Very first and tops on the list is to check the ground wire from the engine block to the battery negative terminal. Then check the 'bonding strap' on the fire wall to the engine block in the back of engine compartment. There should be a strap or wire going to the engine block to ground the instrument and dash panel.

Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX an automotive electronics expert and an expert in Ford automobiles as well. I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

Do you happen to know the location of where they had attemped to forcfully rip/yank on the wiring?

The only problem is that when at 65+ mph the engine would stall, can you tell me if then it would strat right back up or would it not start at all?

When it would stall would it just die like you turned the key off or would it cough and stuble with no acelleration?

When you state it will not start now how long has the time frame been from when the problem first started?

When it does not start if you turn the key on do the dash lights come on?

If they do and you try to start do you hear a clicking or a clunk or nothing at all?

Is this a manual or auto transmission?

Thanks,

Joe

Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is Joe,I am an automotive electronics expert and an expert in Ford automobiles as well. I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

Is this a manual or auto transmission?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It is automatic. I have not tried again for a while.

I will probably need to charge the battery again.

Thanks

Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

Ok no problem, just wanted to make sure you received my reply so we can try to get this fixed for you.

Once you do as you state may need done please copy and paste what I wrote you above and after each of my questions provide the best answer that you can, this will help speed up answers I can provide to you.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks Joe
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

Something else as a quick test since it is an auto trans ir have someone hold their foot on the brake and try to start the truck, at the same time have another person tapping on the starter with a blunt object, make sure not to touch/hit the cable connections on it as they will spark and cause welding. Make sure you keep the truck in park and the e-brake on.

Let me know if it then trys to start.

Thanks,

Joe