Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT where is the turn signal flasher

where is the turn signal flasher unit on a 1999 f-259 s/d gas engine 4x4? Why won't my turn signals work?

the flasher is located underneath the driver's side of the dash, next to the steering column:

graphic

this is most likely a faulty multifunction switch which is a common failure, which the turn signal switch is part of. Below are both test procedure and then replacement directions:

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Eric. Thanks for the info. I have someone looking for the flasher unit at location you pointed out. I don't recall seeing it there, but may be I missed it. I think we checked all the fuses both under the hood and in passenger compartment. Also we swapped out a multi function switch in the collum and signals still did not work. Any thing else that we should be looking for?

the signal flasher will be located in a small relay box that holds one other relay, so have them look for 2 relays together in same box.

possible bad ground going from the turn signal flasher or short in wiring harness. below is wiring schematic so you can trace and test wiring for shorts:

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Eric. We are not finding the two flasher relays near the steer column. We did find the hazard flasher unit deep in the dash below the radio. Along with the hazard flasher unit were two smaller relays. Should the turn signal flasher look like and be similar in size as the hazard flasher?

Same part number

didnt clarify enough. same part number as it is the same flasher. it controls both hazard and turn signals.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for clarifying this Eric. Could the flasher unit be ok for hazards, yet not work when signal is turned on? Hence suggesting replace hazard/signal flasher unit?

yes, it is very possible for the part of the relay that controls the hazards to be functioning while the part that controls the turn signal is faulty as they are different circuits inside the flasher itself