Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Ford Expedition EL XLT problems with my gas gauge

problems with my gas gauge
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I will do my best to try and help but I ned more detailed information. What is happening with guage guage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it seems that it is stuck when i put gas in it only goes half way or to a quater i never know how much gas i got until gas light comes on
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
so to undertsnad, you cant get guage to read over 1/2 way even if tank is full BUT the guage will drop as gas is used and then the low fule light comes on? OR are you saying the guage never moves but the low fuel light will come on when it gets low?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes,the gas light will come on when its empty but I can't get the guage to move when it's full.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Ok, this sounds more like a problem within the instrument cluster rather than the sending unit in the tank. The cluster is a small computer assy that controls the guages etc.. the fact that the low fuel will come on at some point means the sender is dropping low in tank and signaling the cluster but... the cluster is not converting the readings from tank to readings on the guage. The problem is its not just a guage. the cluster is a one piece unit to be serviced that way. There have been some recalibration changes released meaning, the shop can hook up scan tool per say and do reprogram of the cluster to give it updates. This may? be all thats needed.

Fuel Gauge
The instrument cluster is hardwired to the fuel sending unit, which is a variable resistor controlled by the action of a float arm. When the fuel level is low, resistance in the unit is low (15 ohms ±1 ohm ). When the fuel level is high, the resistance is high (160 ohms ±2 ohms ). The instrument cluster micro-processor monitors the input from the fuel sender and commands the fuel gauge indication according to the fuel level data.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am a lady who dont know much about cars, so can you tell what i need to asks and how much something like this will cost.

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately the instrument cluster would have to be replaced as a whole unit if found bad. First step is to ask if there are any reprogram updates for panel that can be performed and maybe rest the guage. If not, then a shop would have to do the cluster. The labor is not bad at 1.2 hours but the part? I do not have that information. If you call dealer for part price, ask for price of the instrument cluster. You may even call some area salvage yards asking for same part then have shop install. Again, I would ask dealer if they have current reprogram for cluster that they plug a scanner in and reprogram it and this is much cheaper
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I wanted to add the part is not offered aftermarket so its delar item only or junk yard.
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience: 35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist