Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

ford ranger 2000 ford ranger, V6, automatic transmission ,shifter

Customer Question

2000 ford ranger, V6, automatic transmission ,shifter does not go into any gear, reverise,or park, shifter was getting looser and looser till it felt like something broke, looked on drivers mat and there was what looked like a roll pin but solid, 3/4" long and broke on one end! also there was a tork head screw which must of worked loose, I looked down the steerink colom and can see same screws but not were pin was at! can you Help? Scott...
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

I sure can help. The bolts you found are T30 screws with torx heads and they hold the shift linkage bracket to the shift tube which runs along the top of the steering column. You can lay upside in the floor and work on this. You just need to work out the broken screw and reinstall 2 new ones, then resinstall the shifter paw with the roll pin. If needed you may need to remove the lower shroud under the steering column and then disconnect the shift indicator wire from the dash and remove the steering column nuts/bolts and lower the steering column.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that image you sent does it have a table of contents? and I am not sure were the pin that was broke came from? can you help me Chris?
That pin is number 32. HERE is a download of the diagram.
Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
does the pin #32 go into shaft #16? or the steering colom? thanks Chris! Scott...
32 goes into 16 which is the shift tube. The tube is held to the top of the column via 2 straps with 4 more t30 screws.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you really think I will have to remove the steering? does it make the job easy? you no there is hardly any room to work? also if the colom has to be removed will I need any speical pullers or tools? if you helpme a little more I will kick you down a bonus! thanks Chris!, Scott...
Actually removing the steering column is not needed. Once you remove the PRND21 indicator from the instrument cluster or just disconnect the wire then you can remove the 4 attaching nuts on the steering column and let it drop about 4 inches to have full access to the top of the steering column to remove the shift tube if needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can I recive the whole conversation again? My questions and Chris answers? thanks..Scott
Scott you should be able to just scroll back up and view it, if not please reply and I will post it all again, make sure your logged in and on just answer rather than responding through email.