Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

1996 Ford Explorer: fuel pressure regulator..the mass air flow sensor

My 1996 Ford Explorer pulses when coming to a stop and the entire time it is stopped. Do you have any suggestions as to what could be wrong with my car. We have replace the fuel pressure regulator, the air temperature sensor, the coolant temperature sensor, the mass air flow sensor, and a dpfe sensor. I replace the vacuum hoses between dpfe sensor and the egr tube, with no success,still have the same problem!! Any advice at all would be helpful.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 3 years ago.

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, is the check engine light on? Have you checked the computer for codes? Thanks

Customer:

yes

Customer:

too rich, too lean, lean condition, mass air flow sensor, dpfe sensor, 02 sensor, bank 1and bank 2 too rich and too lean

Customer:

hello?

Dieseljunky2 :

OK, these symptoms and codes are usually cause by leaking intake gaskets. Is your engine a single overhead cam or overhead valve? It makes a difference on my recommendations for the repair.

Customer:

single overhead cam

Dieseljunky2 :

You will need to replace the intake port seals. This is a common issue on these engines. That should take care of the codes. If after you replace the intake port seals (gasket between head and intake) the idle is still erratic, then you will need to replace the idle air control valve. I would hold off on the idle valve until after the gaskets are replaced, as sometimes the leaking gaskets will cause the idle issue as well. Thanks

Customer:

does my husband need to replace all of the intake gaskets or the one between the plenom and the lower intake?

Customer:

Did you get my last message?

Dieseljunky2 :

I have just double checked and the 1996 model was not offered with an overhead cam engine. It was offered with an ohv engine only. On this engine, the repair would include replacing the gaskets between the upper intake and the fuel rail spacer as well as the fuel rail spacer to lower intake gasket. I have a picture here of the parts breakdown. In the first picture #7 is the gasket that is under the fuel rail. The upper gasket goes on top of the fuel rail and under the upper plenum.

Full Size Image

Dieseljunky2 :

Did you get the picture?

Customer:

I did!! Thanks a lot!! We really appreciate it!!

Customer:

My husband wants to know how many lbs. of torque needs to be applied

Dieseljunky2 :

The torque values are listed at the bottom of the picture I sent.

Customer:

OKay. Thanks again!!

Dieseljunky2 :

The 13mm nuts that are holding the upper intake to the studs are torqued to 15-18 ftlbs.

Customer:

I printed the picture and your detailed instructions. Thanks so much. I hope this fixs the problem. We will definitely be using your service again!!

Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
Thanks and good luck with your repairs.