Joe  Barfield
Joe Barfield, Master High-Tech
Experience:  36yrs.in Auto Industry, Aamco Trans.Master..
17290852

2005 ford f150: clicking or clacking noise..more noticeable

The motor in my 2005 ford f150 (5.4L)makes this clicking or clacking noise. It started to do this about one year ago and about 6 months ago the noise level increased so it is more noticeable. It hasnt increased or changed since. When i brought it in for my last servicing i asked them to look into it for me as i thought it may be a lifter that is out. I was told not to worry about it as the engine has at that time 160,000km on it and runs great for those kilometers it has. I dont believe this to be true at all. The motor will do this cold or hot it doesnt matter and also seems much worse at idle or low rpm. When the rpms increase to normal driving speed it seems to go away. Maybe its a combination of road noise and everything else to make it non noticeable. What do you guys think could be the issue? Its going in soon again for another service and with your help maybe i can get them to look at a specific problem. Thank you!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Joe Barfield replied 6 years ago.
Hello, The very first thing is to verify what side the lifter is bleeding down on.....then to pull the valve cover to verify if its even a lifter at all. has this been done ? Because this Could be a much smaller issue. Like a loose or Cracked Rocker Arm.....Thanks Joey
Which Would be less Costly for Sure. If you need anything else just ask.....Take Care....Please hit the accept Button if you have no further Questions...Thanks
Hi, Should I resend the Info ? Did you Get my reply ?........Thanks: Joey
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It seems to be coming from driver side. And no valve covers have not been removed yet to check
Hi, Well thats your Next Step to Take on your issue. Hope this info will lead you in the right direction.......Please hit the accept button if you have no further Questions, Again Thanks